Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Win 7 on a SATA disk

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Installing Win 7 on a SATA disk

At the moment I have XP on an old IDE drive. I have recently purchased a SATA disk and partitioned it to give me an 80G partition on which I want to install Win7 - I'm not looking for a dual boot, just don't want to install on a drive that may be getting toward the end of its life.
Is there anything I should be wary of using a sata disk for bootup. I don't want to go through the installation and then find the bios can't find the bootup disk.
The motherboard is a MSI P43 NEO-F (less than a year old)
Paul
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Installing Win 7 on a SATA disk

I don't know about Windows 7 but installing the earlier versions on a SATA disk when there was a PATA disk already installed created problems as sometimes Windows insisted on putting some of the files on the PATA disk. Whether this happened depended on how the SATA controller was configured on the motherboard.
The way round this was to disconnect the PATA disk while installing on the SATA then connecting it again afterwards.
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
The way round this was to disconnect the PATA disk while installing on the SATA then connecting it again afterwards.

That sounds a good idea
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: paulgul
Is there anything I should be wary of using a sata disk for bootup.

Should be fine unless (as I think I noted in another thread) you need specific drivers for the SATA controller; these are often RAID controllers and need extra drivers at install time.
That said W7 is quite good at dealing with that, so just "suck it and see".
(100% agree with Oldjim re disconnecting the IDE disk beforehand.)
Mav
Fixes: 515

This is slightly related but recently my PC has started to fail at bootup as it seems to be looking for the OS on an IDE drive and not the SATA that it is installed on. I have set the relevant boot options to the correct SATA but, lately, the only way to get it to boot properly is by pressing F8 and selecting the Boot drive.
The advice by OJ is what I was planning to do.
Not sure if my problem comes from the fact that XP was originally installed on an IDE but it wasn't reformatted before re-use.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

David_W
Rising Star

I installed the retail version on a SATA drive today, and as stated earlier it can be a *major* issue if you have an old IDE drive too as Windows wants to put the boot loader files there no matter what your BIOS tells it to do.  To get around that I just disabled the IDE channel in my BIOS (saves pulling the plug) but naturally you can't do that if your DVD drive is also IDE and not SATA.
I really have no need for that IDE drive though, maybe it's time to retire it.
matt_2k34
Grafter

(100% agree with Oldjim re disconnecting the IDE disk beforehand.)

Just make sure that you put the IDE drive in lower boot priority to the sata one!
I made this mistake on vista, it created a "look at drive Sata drive" kinda bootfile on the IDE drive, i couldnt change that without re installing windows as it completely messed up..
but yeah disable the pata drive,  install and enable, i think my issue stemmed from it being one of the first mobos with both ide + sata (and it was cheap!)
paulgul
Rising Star

I took the advice about disconnecting the pata disk, installed win7 and then re-connected the pata disk. All works ok, as someone else said, just check the order of booting in the bios and make sure the pata disk is below the sata disk Win 7 is installed on.
Paul