cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Linux Mint (XFCE 7.2)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Installing Linux Mint (XFCE 7.2)

I downloaded this as an ISO and burned it to disk using my iMac, using the same device I tried to boot from it earlier to install the OS by selecting the device from the BIOS Boot Menu (F12) but the disk doesn't boot I simply get an option to boot the Windows partition. I don't want a dual boot I intend to dump Windows, but am I missing something?
It's a Toshiba Netbook NB250, if that helps.
22 REPLIES 22
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Installing Linux Mint (XFCE 7.2)

Hmm did you do an MD5 check of the image.
Is the pc a normal one or does it use secure boot?
Try "burning" to a usb disk/stick.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Checked the MD5 as a matter of course, and it matched.
Not to sure what a 'secure boot' is.  Embarrassed
Mmm, I'd need to look around for a spare one.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Secure boot is what M$ introduced with Win 8. Basically the boot needs signed. Unless the pc is ❤️ years old it is unlikely to be that.
Might just be a bad burn, try re-burning at a slow speed or on a rw disk.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope it's not that as it's Windows 7. But that should have no bearing on booting from another device via the BIOS as Windows isn't even loaded at this point.
Looks like it could be a 'bad burn' as you say. I'll move the ISO to the Netbook and burn it from there.
Thanks.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The secure boot is in the bios with new pc's, If it is on you can't even boot from an unsigned device/os. But my knowledge of it is 2nd hand as none of my pc's has it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh! I didn't know that. The Netbook in question is easily 5+ years old, so won't be an issue here (I hope).
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You could try sticking the ISO on a USB stick and booting from that if you want to save a DVD...
https://unetbootin.github.io/
Useful for trying out Live distributions without installing them as well Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Does your boot sequence give priority to the CD?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it does, but I have an option at boot, F12, that displays a boot device menu and the BlueRay is the last device in the list. Selecting this and and trying to boot from it doesn't work.
I've still not fixed this yet as it's for my own project, so only doing it when I have free time.
But I'll change the boot priority as I assume you're suggesting and see what that brings.
VileReynard
Hero

When you burned the .ISO to DVD, did you burn it as an image, not as a data file?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Burned it as an image as I can see the directory structure on the DVD. Also, change boot options as well and it ignored the DVD! So going to re-burn the DVD as was suggested earlier.
Chronos
Grafter

@Hairy McBiker: Mint 17.3 will quite happily boot on a uEFI machine without having to drop to legacy mode. GRUB handles secure boot quite well now. I tend to install from the network, though I know the DVD has the EFI stuff in place as that's where I get the kernel and initramfs from.
VileReynard
Hero

If the DVD is first in boot priority, but it does not boot then this means that you don't have a bootable DVD.
For backup purposes I boot Mint 16 as a live DVD on a UEFI machine from a bluray reader (explanation available on demand...).
I have two GPT hard disks and GRUB handles everything perfectly well - I can access my hard disks from the live "installation".

kabads
Grafter

I stopped using DVD/CDs to boot from as it took a fair bit of magic to get them to boot (it got to the point where I would place my laptop on a solid surface before I started burning as I was worried that if it got jogged it would corrupt the disk). I now just use USB devices to install a new OS and it works a treat. Not looked at Linux Mint in a long time, but I'm sure it will allow a USB image to boot and install from.