Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed new Canon MFP, now my router's sulking

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Installed new Canon MFP, now my router's sulking

I used your link, and went through all steps.  The printer address appeared with the PN Hub1, but with the  Billion on it did not presumably because connection could not be gained.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If an ethernet connection doesn't work, then (according to Google, anyway) you must be using Windows.

Try the fault finding listed for Windows in https://appuals.com/ethernet-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration/

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Luzern, this hints that the Billion might be having issues giving out DHCP addresses. You may want to try and set the IP address of the MFP manually, in the same IP range as the router. I.E. If the Web UI of the Billion is 192.168.1.1. give the printer an address in the same range such as 192.168.1.63 just to see if the issue goes away.

If it doesn't then it's back to the drawing board.

Also, if you've not done this you may want to connect using an Ethernet cable directly to the Billion, to see what results it gives you.

Luzern
Hero

@Anonymous Both routers are 192.168.1.254 addressed. With the PN Hub 1 the printer is 192.168.1.62 ATM. What is the range availble for routers with the same address?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@Luzern wrote:

I thought to have clarified that the router problem persists both for wifi and Ethernet. That's no matter if the printer exists or not. With Billion I get, "Ethernet does not have valid IP configuration", but only with the Billion, or  the equivalent wifi warning. With no such problems with the PN router, I can't believe the printer is to blame. In addition a few months back I had a similar problem, but this time the advice from Billion would not work--- the first instance a forewarning  perhaps.

Really, @Luzern, you are being your own worst enemy here.  You are not being very clear about the details of your problem.  Exactly when do you get the message "Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration"?  Why don't you want to use your PN router if it works?  Why did the image you posted indicate that your Billion router had no internet connection?  And now you write a throwaway line about a "similar problem" without any indication of what the solution was then.    

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luzern wrote:

What is the range availble for routers with the same address?

Now that is something I can't answer but your manual(s) will or maybe someone here can fill those gaps.

slyman

You can't have the same address on two devices.  Change one.  The range is .1 through to 254.  255 being a broadcast address (which means everything listens to that).

VileReynard
Hero

Note x.x.x.254 is used by Plusnet routers (your router might be different). Smiley

If the printer is switched off and the ethernet cable is unplugged, do you still get any errors?

Luzern
Hero

Let's try to this straight. Yesterday @Anonymous

wrote:

- Have you considered that the MFP is using the same address as the router? I don't think you should buy anything until you know the root cause of this.

We can assume that the router works as intended without the MFP being on. So if turning it on terminates the Internet then as mentioned the finger gets pointed at the MFP.

I assume you know the address you use to get to your router have you tried browsing to it when the printer is on? You can check the Printer's IP address using the built in Web Server the instructions are here.

My reply

With the usable PN router, I went through the process he advised and found the printer was using 192.168.1.66 and the Hub’s is 192.168.1.254

His reply Thanks @Luzern, this hints that the Billion might be having issues giving out DHCP addresses. You may want to try and set the IP address of the MFP manually, in the same IP range as the router. I.E. If the Web UI of the Billion is 192.168.1.1. give the printer an address in the same range such as 192.168.1.63 just to see if the issue goes away.

If it doesn't then it's back to the drawing board.

Also, if you've not done this you may want to connect using an Ethernet cable directly to the Billion, to see what results it gives you.

He was for a router using 192.168.1.1 If the Web UI of the Billion is 192.168.1.1. give the printer an address in the same range such as 192.168.1.63, which caused me to ask, as I was wondering if the ranges for items linked to a 192.168.1.1 address router were different from a 192.168.1.254 one, that the Billion like the PN Hub also uses.

I hadn’t believed the ranges were different, but had I missed something.

Of course, the Billion not getting internet access by either method means I don't know what address the printer would use.

@Reed Richards.

I may come to you later. As to the PN issue, it does the job, but syncs slower than the Billion, and my connection is not brilliant anyhow. If I need the Billion is far more informative. What I prefer is what I prefer.

@ ALL I appreciate your posts, but am thinking I should abandon thread now. My brain is too much a whirl for an old man.

VileReynard
Hero

Is a new printer cheaper than a new router?

Luzern
Hero

The printer is new, and I needed a new one, the other not printing properly. I think that makes your question somewhat irrelevant, but possibly mischievousTongue Pricewise I think the range is comparable, and I pay for what I prefer to the job within my set budget. I call that value, which is anathema to get the cheapest brigade; in many cases not a good decision. Take small energy suppliers,  a number failing and causing user hassle

@VileReynard IMO your post has drawn the thread OTKnuppel,Grin, but as I am minded to leave it soon. ha ha.

VileReynard
Hero

My point was that the printer is obviously not fault-free.

Luzern
Hero

@VileReynardWell it's not the printer that won't behave. I can print etc from it, but not via the Billion, which fails to connect to the net.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@Luzern wrote:

@VileReynardWell it's not the printer that won't behave. I can print etc from it, but not via the Billion, which fails to connect to the net.

When you say "fails to connect to the net" what exactly do you mean?

When people fail to get help on this forum it seems to me that it is often because they just aren't explicit enough about what is going on.  They may be working on the basis of false assumptions which those trying to help cannot unpick.  Or the people responding make false assumptions about what has been done and head-off in the wrong direction with their advice.

Luzern
Hero

@ReedRichards I'm thinking hard, how best to explain, whether pictures could help. I'll need find time though.