Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed new Canon MFP, now my router's sulking

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Installed new Canon MFP, now my router's sulking

I  use a Billion router, but now it won't connect since installing the new MFP.

The situation is shown here. Network connections has wi-fi as unidentified connection, but available networks ( blue part of image) shows my Billion 8800NL v1 securely connected, a regular nearby TNCAP, and an intruding open connection for the MFP. This last does not feature now the Hub 1 is being used, and wi-fi is no longer unidentified. I am asking elsewgere, but, what would anyone here suggest to cure situation?

for pnforum 0312 - Copy.gif

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
29 REPLIES 29
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Installed new Canon MFP, now my router's sulking

Disconnect any USB cable to the MFP and turn-off its WiFi.  With the printer in this state (i.e incapable of doing anything except acting as a copier) does the router connect?  If not, disconnect the power to the MFP.  Does the router now establish an internet connection?

Luzern
Hero

@ReedRichards I'll give that a go, but ATM am awaiting an order for input to supermart site from the boss. I must obey.Wink

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Since your router appears to have lost its internet connection, I'm wondering if your MFP has a faulty transformer.  If so, just having it powered-up could cause the problem.  

Luzern
Hero

Without risk to warranty, of course, how would totally non tech me test for that? But then, if the transformer is faulty, why doesn't the same problem rise with the PN Hub?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

You would test for that by doing what I said in my first post. 

In the image you posted you are connected to your Billion router but the router is not connected to the internet.  I presumed that that was your problem.  One way to cause this is to inject so much high frequency noise onto your mains wiring that the broadband signal gets drowned-out and you cannot make a connection.  If you had this problem it would most likely affect any modem or modem/router that you tried to use so if you don't get a problem with your Plusnet Hub1 then I am probably wrong (I did not understand this from your first post).

This is an unlikely scenario but not unknown.  Your MFP probably incorporates an AC/DC switch mode transformer and these need to be properly shielded/suppressed to prevent them injecting noise onto your mains wiring.  This should all be built-in but perhaps in your case it's not working properly.  Or perhaps it's something completely different; you need to test my hypothesis.

Another thing you could try is to turn-off the WiFi transmitted from your MFP.  That's only there for people who have only use a mobile phone for their internet and have no router.     

Luzern
Hero

The MFP has been taken out, then reinstalled with no mention now of the direct connection. I will struggle on.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But does it work?

If not, does a wifi scan show it as an actively broadcasting node?

Is it doing anything troublesome on the bluetooth front?

Is it possible to use a USB/ethernet connection in place of wi-fi?

I hate wi-fi. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Luzern
Hero

@VileReynard @ReedRichards

Thanks mates for posts, but as nothing seems to work with either getting a connection, I'm surrendering to buying a new Broadcom chipped router. 

Wish me luck!

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If your router works properly with your new MFP switched-off but not with it switched on then the logical conclusion is that the problem is your MFP.  So best of luck with the new router.  

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Broadcom is rubbish.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luzern - Have you considered that the MFP is using the same address as the router? I don't think you should buy anything until you know the root cause of this.

We can assume that the router works as intended without the MFP being on. So if turning it on terminates the Internet then as mentioned the finger gets pointed at the MFP.

I assume you know the address you use to get to your router have you tried browsing to it when the printer is on? You can check the Printer's IP address using the built in Web Server the instructions are here.

Luzern
Hero

@ReedRichards wrote:

If your router works properly with your new MFP switched-off but not with it switched on then the logical conclusion is that the problem is your MFP.  So best of luck with the new router.  

I thought to have clarified that the router problem persists both for wifi and Ethernet. That's no matter if the printer exists or not. With Billion I get, "Ethernet does not have valid IP configuration", but only with the Billion, or  the equivalent wifi warning. With no such problems with the PN router, I can't believe the printer is to blame. In addition a few months back I had a similar problem, but this time the advice from Billion would not work--- the first instance a forewarning  perhaps.

ASIDE

Again I don't see how one router and not another can be affected, but there are claims Windows 10 updates are a factor in these errors. From a Windows report article:

Windows 10 Unidentified network often occurs after the Windows 10 upgrade or Windows 10 Fall 
Creators Update Version 1709/Creators Update/Anniversary Update. In fact, Windows 10 is never free
from network issues, like no WiFi available after update, WiFi adapter not showing up issue, no Bluetooth connection, etc.

Luzern
Hero

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luzern - Have you considered that the MFP is using the same address as the router? I don't think you should buy anything until you know the root cause of this.

We can assume that the router works as intended without the MFP being on. So if turning it on terminates the Internet then as mentioned the finger gets pointed at the MFP.

I assume you know the address you use to get to your router have you tried browsing to it when the printer is on? You can check the Printer's IP address using the built in Web Server the instructions are here.

@Anonymous Of course I cannot get to see what the  address is on the printer, as it doesn't appear, but as PN Hub1 is different from the printer, I am assuming it would be so were the Billion in place.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you mean it doesn't appear? Did you have a look at the link I sent, that shows you how to view the IP the printer is using so you can then access it via your web browser.