Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation emergency!

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Installation emergency!

Sorry for the mellow drama just hoping some linux peoples about  Grin In the middle of installing 10.04 as posted http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88300.0.html just realised that 9.10 is on the 2nd drive where I was going to keep all my windows backups and it was a full installation rather than installed within windows.
How do I uninstall 9.10 from the 2nd drive so I dont end up with 9.10 and 10.04 booting off seperate drives?
Many thanks
19 REPLIES 19
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Re: Installation emergency!

Can I use windows disk manager to format the area of disc that 9.10 is kept in? Very weary as I have all my windows backups on the same drive.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Its ok panic over I blew it  Grin Can't get my stuff back after install I only have some lost and found folders which I can't access. I did a  little bit of surfing last night before knocking it on the head and things don't look promising.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Just seen this. So you had 9.10 on the second drive, but wanted to keep it? What was on the first drive?
Assuming:-
Xp/9.04 on first drive. I would just have installed 10.04 over the 9.04 keeping the same boot menu (just upgraded to grub2) and then plugged in the second drive and ran update-grub to find the 9.10 install.
Or did you wipe the first drive????Huh
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Glad your back  Smiley I had xp on the 1st drive and 9.10 on the 2nd. I was sick of the annoyance of the grub and made the fatal mistake of wiping drive one completely and formatting the areas of the 2nd drive that contained 9.10 in ext 3 just leaving the area where my backups were.
At least the 9.10 as gone.  Roll_eyes In hind sight I should have left drive 2 completely alone, swapped mt backups over then formatted the second drive  Embarrassed
The drive still shows the partitioned space but just has a lost + found folder in with an X through it stopping me getting access, some quick searching said that these will only contain fragmented files though so doesn't look good.
I just put everything on I needed which seems to get easier each time and left it before I punched something expensive(should be me I'm punching)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Surely, with hindsight Cheesy you could have just upgraded 9.10 to 10.04?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

It was an option but I wanted the xp off as it was an old dubious copy which I had the genuine key for but a couple of hardware upgrades later I had to do a workaround every now and again to keep it working  Roll_eyes
Plus and this is a big plus, I'm a bit of a purist with OCD tendencies so having multiple OS's on different drives with different file systems just wasn't sitting too well for me. There's no satisfaction for me doing a clean install and wanting a fresh start then finding I have some conflict right from the off.
I have had systems like that all through my trial period with Linux and now feel confident enough to make it my main desktop/server in the house now I feel I could solve a problem without major probs. Other than this  ;D. And I'm pretty sure with a bit of trial and error that most of the things I do will work.
I was going to have a fresh start using my half redundant laptop but unfortunately I'm going off to work and the lappy needs to come with me. There are things I need for work that don't get supported in linux or I already use in windows which I don't have time to be messing with.
I am on site all day and run my business in the evening from a hotel room so the least hassle I get with compatibility  the better.
Surely, with hindsight Cheesy you could have just upgraded 9.10 to 10.04?

Not what I need to hear right now for a bloke who has just lost 5 years of stuff which I'm just starting to get over, that's without finding out yet what my wife has lost on there until she gets back .  Shocked But if you have anything constructive to say about getting the files back I'm all ears.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Ok assuming that you haven't WRITTEN anything to the drive you want to recover.
You can run photorec (I think that is the right program search synaptic for file recovery) and it will scan the drive and recover what it can to ANOTHER drive.
BUT if you have formatted/installed then you could try it on the free space and see if it finds anything ... Lips_are_sealed
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Cheers HB I will try tonight I'm off home now, I did format the area that contained the the 9.10 installation but not the area set aside for the backups, its name and the area still show in the disc manager so there's hope yet.
My second drive is a 120gig that had 9.10 installed which used about half the drive and a swap partition. The other half was still on ntfs and contained my backups. looking in disc management it still says its ntfs file system so hopefully it will be in tact.
I have been stroking my head many times today thinking about it but it may not be as bad as it seems, the MOST important things were mpegs from day one of my daughter but I still have the tapes from the camcorder so I can get them back, I never tape over anything tapes are that cheap I just get new ones. I only backed up photos onto the pc just in case so I'm sure most will still be on the camera and memory card. I just need to get in touch with missus and tell her not to delete anything to make room while she's on holiday. Other than that my music collection which I probably have the best part of it still on my mp3 player and the cd's I still have.
I am probably painting a rosier picture than it is, I'll find there's loads missing when I go to need it  Grin no point getting down about it though. The avi's were the most important and I still have them.
I'll let you know how I get on with the recovery, what I'm trying to achieve is the 1st drive containing 10.04 to itself and the second 120gig drive to be purely a server for my ps3's, I'm nearly there.
BTW do you use graphic drivers from the Card Manu? I have an nvidia 6800gt, last night it seemed to run ok until I installed the reco by ubuntu driver. Since then on boot up sometimes it sticks and the logo looks very blocky compared to when I just used the driver from the installation.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK better.
If you didn't format the ntfs partition then you can just mount it (md backup&&sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb2 backup -o user,rw) Or it may appear in Places in Nautilus.
I use the Nvidia binary driver not the default one. Open the Hardware drivers and choose the NV one.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

You are a legend looking at all my stuff right now much kudos  Smiley
just put in sudo aptitude install nautilus-open-terminal then there was the partition, very happy bunny. Now then I take it when I get all my stuff back on the other drive and in the right peoples home folder I can just format the entire 120 gig using the disc utility in ext3?
Btw not sure what you mean by binary driver. In the hardware drivers in Ubuntu I have choice of three, version 173, version 96 and (version current) which is activated.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK glad it is all still there.
After you have copied all the stuff over, maybe an idea to put it on a DVD?  Wink
Then you can run gparted and delete the partition and make a new ext3 one.
Not on the box that has the NV driver at the mo, but is the current version a branded NVIdia one or the new open source driver? (Binary drivers are drivers that are supplied like M$ ones, no source available)
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

After you have copied all the stuff over, maybe an idea to put it on a DVD

There was 21gig on there, what I have been doing is what I should have done the night before which was sort it all out rather than throwing everything over on to the other drive. I could have probably shaved 4 or 5 gig of it with stuff I didn't really need. Point taken though  Grin
Just checked the drivers says Nvidia accelerated driver tested by ubuntu devs licence propriety (recommended) I notice my screen flickers a little now and again as if the refresh rate is wrong.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Try running the NVconfig (I think it is in preferences or Admin) and check the monitor settings.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
There was 21gig on there, what I have been doing is what I should have done the night before which was sort it all out rather than throwing everything over on to the other drive. I could have probably

Well that is only 3 DL disks or 6 normal ones, about an hours work, worth it in the long run though  Wink