cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install cancelled - lack of progress

Twiglet
Dabbler

Install cancelled - lack of progress

I signed up for broadband and phone on 24th March with an install booked for 10th April which was confirmed by text. I then received a number of texts over the week prior to the install telling me that the phone order was delayed. On 9th April I called Plusnet who confirmed the broadband install wasn't cancelled but that there was clearly a problem somewhere so they'd look into it and call me back. I was called back shortly afterwards and told there was a problem with Openreach (no surprise) but it wasn't clear what this was and that an update was due within two days, and the appointment was now cancelled.
Four days later, I called Plusnet for an update. They weren't able to provide one and I was told someone would call me back. I haven't received a call back, but have received an email this morning telling me my phone order has been cancelled. The wait time for calling customer services is 15 minutes and I've just waited 10 minutes on online chat before giving up - I also have an open ticket from 9th that hasn't been answered.
Background; This is a new build property, but it does seem to have FTTP (it has an Openreach setup on the wall) - we weren't told this or given any details by the developers when we moved in. We moved in three months ago and tried Sky but after 4 last minute cancelled installs over two months with no clear reason they told us they couldn't help us any further unless we were willing to wait a few more weeks before they could even just give us more information.
This is becoming very frustrating - I know that the previous issues aren't the fault of Plusnet but I feel like I'm having to do all of the chasing and am getting no answers at all as to what is happening or when we may get a connection. I paid over £75 on 24th March for installation and line rental charges. There's no mention in the cancellation email telling me why it's been cancelled or whether I'll get my money back and when, and whether I can still have broadband. I need to be able to work at home occasionally and not having an internet connection means this is impossible.
How can I find out exactly what the problem is and get some sort of timescale?
7 REPLIES 7
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Install cancelled - lack of progress

I'll have a word with one of the guys who's more up-to-date with the FTTP process to see what can be done.
[EDIT]
MattyC is going to pick this up and get this looked into for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Bit of a weird one this, so please bear with me whilst I explain.
Firstly, I'm really sorry for the issues that you have had. Nobody should have this many missed appointments albeit who whichever provider you are with.
As you are well aware, the initial order that we placed for you entailed the provision of a phone line, and broadband. Following our attempts of provision, Openreach have come back to us saying this:
The only lines provided on copper at this site are
the lift lines and landlord service lines. All residential
services are provided as Fibre To The Premises ( FTTP ).
Please cancel this order and reissue as a FTTP order on the
appropriate systems. Thanks, Graham

This is why orders are being cancelled in black and white.
As a result of this (and if you want to stay with us), I have a few bits of good news and a little bit of bad news as well. I'll start with the good news:
- We don't have to install a phone line for you. This means I can refund you £49.99 of that initial invoice you paid up along with the first month of line rental.
- It could potentially be a quicker install than a phone installation.
Bad news:
- Dependent upon the package that you want, the price may be slightly more expensive (I think it's about £2.80). Though it could work out cheaper if you want the 40/20 package.
Moving forward, I'll be happy to deal with your provision from this point onwards, and I'll attempt to contact you shortly.
Quote from: Twiglet
Background; This is a new build property, but it does seem to have FTTP (it has an Openreach setup on the wall)

This sounds like you have an ONT already installed at your property, which means that theoretically it should be an overnight switch-on. After a little investigation, I know exactly where it is in your property, but it doesn't reflect on BT's systems when I try and place your order. I am in the process of liaising with our suppliers, to try and get this to reflect properly. As I'm waiting on a person rather than a system, I'm a little reluctant to give out any lead times.
Either way, I'm confident we'll get this resolved for you.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Twiglet
Dabbler

Hi Matty,
Thank you so much for your help - it's all making sense now. The customer service staff seemed bemused by the 'openreach told us to cancel your order and re-place it as fibre' as there seems to be a bit of a lack of understanding of fttp (across all providers, and myself, not blaming Plusnet!). This then seems to lead to a brick wall for orders. It looks like we've finally got to the bottom of the problem!
We're happy with the extra cost, it'll still work out much cheaper than our old sky package without the phone. The ONT thingy definitely installed and up and running - it communicates with our heating system and provider.
Thanks again for your help, it's a relief to have got to the bottom of the issue even if it takes a bit of time to sort out.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

When you get your router, are you ok to set everything up? I think I've managed to get you online.
Matty
Twiglet
Dabbler

I will give it a go! Thanks again for your help. I'll update when the router arrives and we've tried plugging it in....
Twiglet
Dabbler

WOW!! Thank you so much. We're plugged in and have a download speed of 75mbps. You solved 3 months of banging heads against a wall in under 24 hours. We're immensely grateful! What do we need to do now re. subscription type etc.?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fantastic news! Delighted to hear that you're online.
I've fixed the billing so that your next bill will be on 16/05/2015.
Matty