cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Fedora 8

bejaouizied
Grafter

Install Fedora 8

Hi, i am not sure that it's the right place for this topic.
I have downloaded Fedora 8 and as a result i have 2 iso file and an other file without any extension, this file is : SHA1SUM, the 2 .iso files are: Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso and Fedora-8-i386-rescuecd.iso, i know that these files have to be burned in a dvd, and than install Fedora from the DVD.
But i d'ont know if i have to burn one or 2 DVDs the total capacity of the 2 iso files is 3,3GB.
How can i use the file without extention.
Thank U.
6 REPLIES 6
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Install Fedora 8

The file Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso is the main Fedora installation DVD and should be burnt out to a DVD using Nero or similar. Do not burn this file as a file copy but (in Nero) use the ‘Recorder’, ‘Burn image’ command from the menus. Other burning software will have something like this to ‘Burn Image’. This is all you need to install Fedora, it should boot when put in the DVD drive and your system is restarted (if booting from a CD/DVD is enabled in the BIOS), just follow the instructions to install it.
Word of warning: please back up all critical documents, pictures and software before you install any version of Linux on a machine running Windows (any version) even if you intend installing on a second hard disk or a blank partition of your main hard disk, there is always a small possibility of things going wrong.
The second ‘Rescue CD image for Fedora 8 32-bit x86 machines’ is a very stripped-down Fedora 8 system. It is completely runable from the CD (similar to the Live CD) and provides you with basic tools to get your crippled Fedora system up and running if you cannot boot it normally. You should burn this to a CD in the same way as the DVD.
Regards, P.
bejaouizied
Grafter

Thank you very much for your clear answer.
I have created 4 partitions in my hard disk/
C where installed win XP
D where installed all my files
E where i will install linuw
and a swap partition
So since i have moved all my documents to a separate partition should i always do a back-up.
Regards
Pendragon
Rising Star

With out a doubt yes, back it up even if on a separate partition. If you don’t and things go wrong (and is has for me in the past) you could loose everything. Better be safe than sorry in my view.
The one time things went wrong for me (I’ve installed many versions of Linux) I didn’t notice the format command was not set to format my blank partition but my Windows partition and everything got wiped, so be warned. If things can go wrong things will go wrong.
Good luck, Regards, P.
bejaouizied
Grafter

Thank u guys i will back up i have important documents in my hdd
Regards

cp:blue Full quote of preceding posted removed, and case dropped on all CAPS post. Posting in all caps in considered very rude, and should be avoided. mod:end
Pendragon
Rising Star

Couple of things, first caps are like shouting and might (will  ;)) cause displeasure among other readers, second it’s against the rules to post the complete text of a post when directly above your own. Otherwise come back and let us know how you get on.
Regards, P.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: PJ
Burn one DVD (Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso) and one CD (Fedora-8-i386-rescuecd.iso) although arguably the Rescue CD is optional until such time you need it.

If the CD (rescue disk) has enough functionality to run as a Live CD, you could always try running this as a (greatly slowed down) version of Fedora - without loading anything at all onto your disk.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."