Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insecure warning

FIXED
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Insecure warning

Without fail, each time I start my laptop I receive a Kaspersky warning; my computer in insecure due to a popular password in use for my network. (that's not the exact wording, but its probably near enough)

To which of the many possible passwords available on my PC would this refer to? Could it be that that was supplied with the router (Netgear) for internet access? If so how and where or indeed can it be changed?

If this is the case, does that mean Netgear (or indeed any other supplier) only have a limited number of passwords issued with their routers, and that there maybe numerous other users with the same password?

The security type is WPA2-Personal. This "lack" of security is not mentioned anywhere else on the PC, or indeed in the Kaspersky software. The warning pop-up disappears after a couple of seconds (hardly long enough to read it properly), which makes me think that maybe its the order things are happening at start up rather than a genuine fault.

Sorry if I seem to have answered my own question, but it niggles me, and of course it may be a "real" issue.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES 5
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Insecure warning

First thing, does the warning appear again if you disconnect and reconnect to the NetGear's wifi?
The only thing about the default wifi password with NetGears (or any popular model) is that they are quite similar but unlikely to be the same. You should be able to set it to something else in the router's management. Simply changing it temporarily to see if the warning appears again or not.
That's RPM to you!!
billnotben
Community Veteran

Why not just turn the annoying warning off if possible.

I always turn off windows security warnings.

Just because I don't do things their way doesn't mean I have to put up with their nags.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Fix

@petlew

I no longer use a Netgear router but there are two passwords that Kaspersky may be bleating about. One is the WiFi password. This can be set by going in to the administration screens of the router and looking at the wireless page. There's  less point in using WPA2 encryption if the password can be easily guessed. Whilst many newer routers set a random password and write this on a label fixed to the router, unless you are confident that this is the case then you should to change this password from the default.

The other password to consider is that for the router admin pages. The old Netgear routers I have owned use the password 'password' for all their routers. Hardly secure from any itchy fingered individual who you may have been given access to your network! Again this can be changed in the router admin pages.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@petlew, Does this issue 'go away' if you connect to your router using a cable?

petlew
Pro

Thank you gents, the problem now seems to be resolved. Its down to what Netgear call things, the "password" is that that gains access to the Netgear Genie admin pages. The passphrase is the one printed on the base of the router for internet access.

Changing the admin access password seems to have solved the annoying pop-up problem. I also changed the passphrase and of course promptly lost the internet connection, after a brief panic I realised what that was and reset to the new passphrase, which re-established the internet. However all the other network devices need their passphrases changed as well.

For the time being at least since the initial issue has been resolved I have returned to the original passphrase (fortunately Genie allowed this, I was a bit worried it may not let me as it had already been used before, but it was ok) with the intention of renaming the passphrase on the router and other devices at a later time...when I have more of it for this. 

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.