cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info

Brian7

Info

Hi, the property we are moving into has the phone line coming into the house where there is no power outlet, at the moment the tenant runs an extension lead a long way to provide power for the router. I would rather run a phone extension lead to the power socket and have the router there, Is this permissible even if not best practice? 

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Info

Welcome to the forum.

It's certainly permissible. Arguably the best option, is to fit the filter at the master socket and just use an extension lead for the  DSL cable from the filter to the router. This is the sort you need https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metre-Long-Internet-Broadband-Cable/dp/B003AC0GRW/ref=asc_df_B003AC0GRW/?ta...

It all depends if you want to also install a landline phone. If you want to fit a landline phone at the master socket location then use this set up. If you want to fit the phone at the router location then use a telephone extension and put a filter at the router location. 

The undesirable option is to put your phone at the master socket location then extend the unfiltered telephone cable to the router location and fit a second filter there.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Brian7

Thanks! 

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Brian7  You should "hard wire" the extension.... do not use a  flexible phone line extender into the master socket.

You can buy "twisted pair" on Ebay.. various lengths..  and also a socket for the end of it... so a "true" extension from the master socket to "wherever" you want it... I have mine hard wired from the master socket to the other side of the room,.. a distance of about 15 mtrs.. and a socket on the wall, ... only 2 wires are needed, and you can find videos and written instructions on the internet

There used to be a seller on ebay called "Mr Telephone".. who used to do several "kits"   ie various lengths of twisted pair  5   10  15 20  25 30 mtrs  and the socket and tool to do the job. 

Using a telephone extension lead, is likely to introduce radio/electrical noise interference from other domestic items in use, which could affect the stability of your line, and cause drop outs and disconnections, reducing the speed available.