cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infestation by Advertising Software

eborfiddler
Dabbler

Infestation by Advertising Software

My laptop is currently infested by software supplied by http://advertising-support.com/, bringing up unwanted adverts when ever I use Google Chrome. I have checked the Advertising Support website, who inform me that I, or someone using my Computer has installed it. Well, I certainly haven't and nobody else has access to this machine.
They then tell me that the sotfware can be uninstalled, using Control Panel and the list of installed apps, but "Advertise" does not appear on that list, nor is it shown as a Chrome extension.  Angry
I have emailed the company at <support+id66916@advertisingsupportdesk.zendesk.com>, initially on 1st December, with a reminder on 30th, but I have had no reply from them at all, so I seem to be stuck with their nuisance software. Has  anyone ant idea of how to get rid of the darned (please note cleaned-up language!) thing please?  Crazy
I am running W7 on this machine.
Thanks in advance,
Chris B.
6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Infestation by Advertising Software

Try downloading and running the free version of Malwarebytes.
It usually gets rid of most stuff you don't want.
eborfiddler
Dabbler

Thanks Mustrum. Sadly Malwarebytes won't touch it,  Cry even the paid-for version ...
Chris.
NedLudd
Grafter

If you Google "advertising-support.com" you will find many links. Some may be able help you out!
Geoff,
York.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Oooh, it must be bad, as per the above suggestion, this one seems to cover it https://malwaretips.com/blogs/advertising-support-removal/
eborfiddler
Dabbler

I shall have a go, BUT Malwarebytes won't let that clicky work!  Crazy So, I'll have to try the long way round.  Roll_eyes
eborfiddler
Dabbler

Well - I got through eventually, and it seems to have worked (Where's the smiley for "fingers crossed" when you need it, by the way?)
Thank you very much gentlemen.
Chris B.