Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indoor Digital TV Aerial

caryn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Indoor Digital TV Aerial

Hi
Not having the first idea what I need in TV aerials, I was wondering if anyone could recommend something suitable for me.
My daughter has a freeview TV in her room, primarily for use with a blue ray player. We don't have a digital aerial as we have Sky downstairs, but as the TV has freeview capabilty anyway, it seems a shame not to be able to use it. Unfortunately, connecting to the satelite isn't an option. Would an indoor aerial be man enough for the job? If so what sort would we need - some of the ones I was looking at on Amazon, the reviewers said they couldn't get Freeview, which confused me even further.
Thanks in advance for you help
Caryn
25 REPLIES 25
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Indoor Digital TV Aerial

Whether an indoor aerial will work depends on signal strength which is largely dependent on how far you are from the transmitter
See what this says http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe? and what sort of aerial is recommended
caryn
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply Oldjim.
The results for NP18 3RD show two, one being 6 miles and 'Log Periodic' recommended, the other 17 miles and 'Amplified Extra Hi-gain'. They talk of a minimum height of 10m, is that for internal aerials as well (as in it's upstairs so 10m from the ground) or do they mean external aerials?
Do I need to look for an aerial that says log periodic or amplified etc etc?
Sorry for all the questions, but I really don't understand what I need to look for or what any of that means.
Thanks again.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

A quick check indicates that Mynydd Machen is a local transmitter serving a small area to the west of Risca and you aren't in it.
The main transmitter is Wenvoe and it almost certain that an indoor aerial will not work given the distance and topography (note that the Wenvoe transmitter is south west of Cardiff)
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I had the same thought as caryn about a TV in one of the bedrooms.  The digital UK organisation is running roadshows around the areas to be switched over and I will be popping along to the one in my town when it arrives next month. Useful information here:
Digital TV
caryn
Rising Star

Thanks again for the replies.
The link to Digital Tv was interesting artmo. My postcode has already switched over to digital and is listed as the Mynydd Machen transmittor relaying from Wenvoe. Wish I knew someone who had an indoor aerial I could borrow to see if it worked or not  Sad
if I were to buy one, is there anything specific I should look for?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Presumably you are thinking of the "set top" type of "indoor aerial"...  as oldjim says, you are very unlikely to have any luck with those.... would suggest you talk to your local TV shop, and see about getting an aerial to fix in your loft space... (you can do this yourself, so long as you have a compass, and know the bearing to point the aerial at)... and the lead will need to go down through a hole in the ceiling to your daughters bedroom.
You should be able to get the bearing from the transmitter from an online website, or ask the tv shop. (not curry`s ! ! )
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A set top is only suitable if you can see the transmitter, Wenvoe  is a very high power transmitter, so you are probaly OK with that in the loft, but do take advice as your location is low down on the river side, and part of newport near the M4 are bad
the yellow on the map is good, the white is no signal
caryn
Rising Star

The loft one sounds like a plan  Smiley
Thanks for all the help guys.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Good idea Shutter Smiley Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and that from a man who cant get a good signal in Portsmouth
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Because I cannot get a good line of sight to the transmitter, being only 25 feet above SEA LEVEL..... And that is the AERIAL HEIGHT TOO>>>>>>>>  Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Caryn is not much better, virtually on Sea level and a fair distance from Wenvoe  with mountains all around, I did research it before I replied
Mav
Fixes: 514

@ artmo Thanks for that link.
Something that isn't clear is that if you already receive all available Freeview channels does that mean the ariel will be just as suitable after switchover or is it possible that with the change of frequencies and strengths that the ariel may still need replacing?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Some do - most don't but you can check from the relevant site