cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing Upload Speeds?

God
Grafter

Increasing Upload Speeds?

I just signed up for a free online storage area which has a glorious 50 gigabytes of space per account. My master plan was to make a remote backup of my MP3 files, however having realised that with an upload speed of about 50/60k a second it would take weeks to achieve  Sad
Are there any ways to increase this upload rate or is it just inherent in broadband that you can download 16 times faster than you can upload?
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Increasing Upload Speeds?

Hurro God!
Would this be of any interest to you?
http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/max_premium_offer.shtml
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

And the uploads all count towards your allowance - just think how many months you would need to stay within your usage limit unless you can schedule it overnight
God
Grafter

Hi James
Thanks, but not really, if I understand the speeds correctly it is nearly double what I already have but that would still take 3000 years to upload 75gig.
I take that if a premium upstream service is barely double the speed of a regular service then it is just a fact of BB life that upload speeds are pidly compared to downloads?
Cheers
James
Grafter

Yep.  I'm afraid so.
ADSL2+ will give improved upload speeds, but they're still an awful lot lower than the download ones.
The A in ADSL stands for asynchronous, meaning that the upload and download speeds are different.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

God,
Your arithmetic is up the spout
50GB = 50,000,000 kB
At 50 kB/s this would take 1 million seconds or 277 hours
paulby
Grafter

@God
ADSL stands for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - in other words the download speed is different to the upload and yes, this is a fact of life for residential, or any other ADSL connection. See the Wiki article here for an explanation.
To get the same upload and download speed you'd need an SDSL (Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line) connection - and they aren't cheap! For example Nildram will charge you £149/month for a 512k SDSL line (and that's assuming your exchange has SDSL capability). 
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Or you could try a SDSL package, or a leased line, or backing them up to a few dvd's and using a carrier pigeon to transport them to the online storage supplier who then might copy them to your space for you!  Cool
Phil
Edit: Paul beat me to it  Cry

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

God
Grafter

Ah well... In case anybody with a sensible amount of data wants to check out the free 50gb it can be found at www.adrive.com Thanks for the other info, I will take a look at the wiki but not the expensive options Tongue
*Begins googling carrier pigeons*