Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In sufficient RAM

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

In sufficient RAM

I Have been getting an insufficient RAM message when trying to use certain things in Photoshop.
There are plenty of posts on the web about this but what I don't understand is that if the Maximum RAM that XP can see is 3.8GB how can I further increase the amount of RAM available after closing down all unnecessary programs.
Whilst off line I have even closed down firewall/virus program and updated drivers for the NVada GT 800GT.
Can anyone suggest any easy solutions ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
7 REPLIES 7
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: In sufficient RAM

Have you checked your RAM for any leaks?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
win7xp
Grafter

How much actual RAM have you installed and what are your pagefile settings
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Check your virtual memory settings and also whether the Scratch Pad location has run out of space
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Heres a link also that may be of some help to you  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/preventing-low-memory-problems
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Not sure how to check for RAM leaks.
I Have found the following information
RAM 4.0 (3.5GB usable)  Processor Intel 6600 @ 2.4 gh  32 bit (windows 7)
Page file size      Allocated  3582 MB  Recommended  5373 MB
Must admit I am out of my depth on this one.... I increased the page file to the recommended one but when I run photoshop the program crashes when trying to merge large files.
Yes I have tried lowering the size of the files but the problem persists. Am using a second hard disk for the scratch files with plenty of space.
Any further advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Good news and bad news.
Windows 7 (if that's what you're using) can also be used in 64-bit mode (reinstall).
However there are loads of problems with 64-bit Photoshop.
My neighbour who is a professional photographer has been round the houses several times on this. There's always a problem whatever option he tries.
He's now running it happily on a Mac.  Crazy
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Amazing that a firm like Adobe would release a program with problems of this sort, fortunately I am using a trial copy but once that expires that will be it.
If this was a cheap piece of software then ok but it is certainly not cheap.... I guess they will lose a number of customers as a result of this.
I know the program has been going for over 10 years in various versions but it seems the usual advice applies.." never purchase the first copy or version of anything, wait for future versions when (hopefully) most of the problems will have been sorted out.
NB : No I am not going out to purchase a Mac !