Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important update notification

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Important update notification

Just seen this one - I will wait and see before doing anything about it as I suspect that all it will do is potentially mess up my Windows 7 licence - or am I just paranoid
13 REPLIES 13
scootie
Grafter

Re: Important update notification

got it for 32 bit as well. am going to be brave and install it. if you don't hear from me for awhile you know not to install.
edit: am still here  Smiley    . nearly died when i watched the system, control panel liscence disappear for a second or 2 and then come back thank god
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why apply this patch - it doesn't fix any user problem?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is my present opinion as well
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I think this update will be in service pack one so i see it as you must have it to stay updated, i may be wrong but that's my thinking, Plus micrcon don't want conned so this nicely tells you what you already know, YOUR WINDOWS IS GENUINE!!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
VileReynard
Hero

It's the user who was conned, not Microsoft.
Why aren't Service packs called "a humongous load of patches"?

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

From http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/02/13/wat-update-kb971033-disables-windows-7-activation-cracks-wi...
"...the main controversy of the KB971033 is that the update will “call home” to Microsoft every 90 days initially...which allows that WAT system to download latest and updated signatures that are used to identify new activation exploits"
severedsolo
Grafter

Its alright, Iv been using it for a while, as you have to download it to use XP mode, its designed to find cracked copies of Windows, worst case scenario, if it does fudge your activation, then a repair install will fix it without you losing anything.
For the record: it doesnt do what its supposed to, I did a test for the guys at http://www.sevenforums.com where i Dual booted my legally activated Windows 7 with a fresh install that I activated by more "dubious" methods, this update was released ages ago.... to date it still hasnt picked up that the "dubious" OS is illegal (I have kept it on there and logged into it once a day just to see if it picks it up, so far, Windows swears its legal)
Just a word of caution, its impossible to remove once its on there without a clean install.
General concensus on Sevenforums is that there will come a point where you have to install it to get updates
VileReynard
Hero

This appears to be an ideal "hole" to exploit!
Why not include a web-site link to update a special "required" piece of software that checks with a spamware host?
Damn!
Microsoft thought of it first!  Cheesy

Oldjim
Resting Legend

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/windows/f/3855382-kb971033-important.html
This update is rendering at least some Win7 64bit machines useless as it declares that the OS is counterfeit. It would be worthwhile blocking this update until a fix is in place.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You would have thought that they would have learned from the WGA fiasco on XP. How many LEGAL copies were flagged including Volume Licensing ones?
Personally I don't want any s/w that phones home every 90 days to see if I can still use what I paid for  Crazy
And it is MY PC I will install what I want on it, including but not limited to Linux (in various distros if I want to) Just because M$ Walks all over the MBR when you install it, and will bork any non M$ OS on your PC for me is just another reason to avoid it. OR are they AFRAID that if you try Linux you may just not want to go back?  Cheesy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Ha Ha agree with you there hairybiker, I snapped a system image just before that update and currently running Isadora, she does not phone home every 90 days, Why some may say? Well she already knows she's at home Grin Thats how smart she is Grin
VileReynard
Hero

So Microsoft are encouraging people to NOT apply any updates at all?
I find their explanations about why I should apply each fix to be very weak.
They usually just say "if you don't do this, then awful things will happen".
So most Windows updates don't get applied by me. Grin

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I just wish they stated that this will happen when I purchased windows 7, It would of saved me 80 quid, You can uninstall this update or don't download it, Just hide that particular update, The way I see it its going to come in service pack 1, But windows 7 does not really need a service pack in my opinion.