Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imageing Question

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Imageing Question

I have been looking at 4 PCs for our local community centre. All are in a pretty bad state, Macafee at least 3yrs out of date, Windows is at SP2 etc etc.  I have reformatted and reinstalled one, but to save time, I was going to take an image of this system and image it onto the others.  They are all identical in every way, but I was wondering about the Windows Licence Key ( They all have valid XP licences and COAs on the side).  Can I change the Licence key after imaging, or will it not matter, as all the systems are identical, although I presume some things to do with serial nos etc of hardware will be different.
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Imageing Question

It depends, but if they're all the same manufacturer and you're using an OEM disc to create the image from you should be fine to use the same serial on multiple machines - that's how I understand things from reading posts on here, anyway. I'm sure someone will be along to correct if that's not the case Cheesy
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Matt
They were all built by a local computer shop around 7yrs ago.  They only had 256mb RAM....... I have upgraded them to 1Gb now.  The specs are identical, and they all have XP Home OEM.  They only thing I was worried about was the SID, but they are not connected to a domain.  I was going to Image them, with the network cable pulled, change the PC name, then join them to the workgroup.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It might be worth installing  XP on one but without validating then take the image.
Once the image is loaded then you could add the serial numbers as appropriate - with a standard OEM disk it still needs to be validated