cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image previewing a website using PHP

nextgenconsoles
Grafter

Image previewing a website using PHP

Hi, on my hosted plusnet site, I upload pictures from my home security camera.
I'd like to be able to view these as a thumbnail preview (say 6 images a page), instead of just a list of filenames. I can of course use the firefox extension "text to image", which works very well. However I want to be able to view the page(s) of the thumbnails from my iphone, which of course doesn't have Firefox.
I've started looking at some PHP gallery scripts, but the downside of this is that all the scripts seem to want to have the PHP in the same directory/subdirectory as the images. This is a pain as the images are stored in the non CGI part of the hosting, and therefore PHP can't be called from here (unless I'm mistaken !). If I move the images location to the CGI location, then I have the problem of not being able to delete the images (when it gets close to our 250mb limit) unless I'm at home with my direct connection to Plusnet.
Any suggestions ?
cheers
Mat
6 REPLIES 6
samuria
Grafter

Re: Image previewing a website using PHP

Are the pictures a different name every time or the same? if they were the same then just a webpage of pictures would do the job
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

No, I'm afraid not. The images are stored sequentially with a date time stamp as part of the filename.
I basically need a web service which can browse the list of files and generate thumbnails on the fly as a webpage , or I move all the images to my CGI area, and use a PHP script to do the same thing. But then I'll have to get another script so that I can delete the images remotely as I can't logon to my CGI area unless I'm at home (and sometimes it gets close to the magic 250mb)
decisions, decisions Smiley
samuria
Grafter

nextgenconsoles
Grafter

thanks for the reply, but all of these seem to hardcode the image name, which I can't as I don't know what it will be. I just need a script that scans a directory, then displays a thumbnail for each image.
The camera is an IP camera i.e not connected to a PC
cheers
Mat
samuria
Grafter

I was thinking in terms of one of these scripts would show the images so all you need to do is have it ask for the variable for the image so it then just shows the date you want. If you have the basic its just adding the code for the variable.
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

thanks for the replies, but in the end, I simply rented a 2 year web hosting deal that gave be uninhibited access to PHP, and also alot more web space than the 250mb Plusnet are offering, all for £20 . I've now got it working using some PHP. cheers
Mat