Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying the MAC address of a tablet

FIXED
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Identifying the MAC address of a tablet

How do you find out what the MAC address is on a tablet (or a mobile phone for that matter). When my grandchildren or my daughter-in-law visit, they want to connect to my wireless router (Netgear N3000). The Netgear software isn't as user friendly as it was on the old DG834G. Even logging in isn't that easy - it took several attempts to do just that. Now I'm into it, the Attached Devices list shows three ANDROID devices including what could be my wireless printer. It would be nice to be able to identify which one is which, without accidentally giving my neighbours access, so the question is, how do I ask a device directly what its MAC Address is, without having to do it from my pc?

Any help gratefully received. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Identifying the MAC address of a tablet

Fix
On an Android device its under Settings>About Phone/tablet>Status and you'll see the MAC address listed amongst other things

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

On my Samsung Android phone, and tablet, if I select 'Settings' > 'About device' > 'Status', several items are shown, including the MAC address.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks (and to 198kHz who sent a similar reply) and I have been able to identify the MAC Address on the tablet, and find it on the Attached Device List on the router, but now to move the problem on a bit further. I have a Netgear N300 DGN2200v4 Router, and my grandsons tablet is a Samsung device. The router says that this tablet is 'Allowed', and the tablet says it is 'connected'. However, we cannot get Google Chrome on the tablet to connect to the outside world. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this, please.

Also, at some time I would like to modify how the router identifies this tablet from the present 'ANDROID-252....' to something like 'JOHNS TABLET'. The User Manual hides this sort of information to the point where I think it doesn't include it. Any help on that, please? Thanks

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Whether your router can show friendly names or not depends a lot on the router. The plusnet router here lets you give devices a friendly name, but I know my older router didn't.