cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITV Player

Denzil
Grafter

ITV Player

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 on this laptop, and wanted to try out the ITV Player to catch up on a programme I missed. I find the entry for the programme, and click on the link to install Silverlight, which instead takes me to Novell Moonlight. Fair enough, I thought, so I installed the plugin (Firefox 3.05). Thing is, I can't figure out how to get the programme to play. AlI I can see is the "Install Silverlight" link, as if it hasn't recognised I have already done that.
I have restarted FF, flushed the cache etc to no avail.
Anyone else come across this?
9 REPLIES 9
barky
Grafter

Re: ITV Player

quick look @ wiki & found this -- doesn't look good  Sad
Supported platforms
The service claims to use Microsoft Silverlight but does not work with all Silverlight implementations, particularly on Linux.
Denzil
Grafter

Hmm. I do have an XP partition on my desktop PC, so maybe I'll try that. Haven't booted into Windows in months :).
scootie
Grafter

when first going on itv using vista ie7 i installed the silverlight and found the videos to pause every about 4 secs for a split second and made it unwacthable. i also tried in FF with the sliver add on and the same so uninstalled silver light and made itv play the stream as normal which i think is flashplayer Undecided and played o.k.
still not as gd as iplayers low stream feed and miles from there high q stream.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

ITV player is a lemming unless you watch it between 12am-4am, if not its constant caching so I'd avoid it till they develope it more.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Denzil
Grafter

I watched it with XP under Silverlight, and it played OK, apart from pausing every minute or two to catch up Crazy
So how do you make it play without Silverlight? Without Silverlight installed all I see is a big button saying "Install Silverlight". No option to play it with anything else.
scootie
Grafter

well i installed sliverlight when it was firsted offered on win update and found no great use for it yet really so unistalled.
yes when i first went to itv i got the same message and installed it thinking i found a decent use for silverlight but got the jittering problem. so did a uninstall the normal why for any program went back to itv and just played the stream. ignoring any you need sliverlight click to install and ever since i havent had any you need sliverlight download now or else type things on itv website.
edit= and another thing i found with sliverlight was that the adverts would play over and over again and would not transfer over to the program stream 80% of the time.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well if you use get_iplayer http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/ you can download them and watch them when you want, bbc or itv, tv or radio (*nix or M$)
I just used it to get some stuff from itv (the first series of Auf Wiedersehen it downloads in .asf for some reason) and usually use to get the comedy of bbc7 mp3's to play when/where I want.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

me too.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."