cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP camera set up

Farrinaf
Grafter

Re: IP camera set up

I cannot help but think that if you intend to host the camera access directly on your home network it is inevitable that you will have to expose your WAN IP address in some form or other to the world!

Its a long time since I used dynamic DNS services, but as I recall when creating an account you are given a bespoke alias e.g. say fishbowl.no-ip.com which corresponds to your dynamic IP address.

I would try substituting this alias for the no-ip.com contained within your code rtsp://no-ip.com:554/11

Personally I would just pay the £5 for a static IP address.

Finally (at the risk of irritating you by repeating myself) may I once again stress, if you are directly port forwarding from your router to the webcam on your local network, in my opinion the importance of firewalling off the webcam in its own DMZ.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@VileReynard wrote:

rtsp://no-ip.com:554/11 doesn't work, because you are trying to access no-ip.com

Where I have put No-ip.com is where my host name will be, I haven't actually put no-ip.com in there.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@Farrinaf wrote:

I cannot help but think that if you intend to host the camera access directly on your home network it is inevitable that you will have to expose your WAN IP address in some form or other to the world!

Its a long time since I used dynamic DNS services, but as I recall when creating an account you are given a bespoke alias e.g. say fishbowl.no-ip.com which corresponds to your dynamic IP address.

I would try substituting this alias for the no-ip.com contained within your code rtsp://no-ip.com:554/11

Personally I would just pay the £5 for a static IP address.

Finally (at the risk of irritating you by repeating myself) may I once again stress, if you are directly port forwarding from your router to the webcam on your local network, in my opinion the importance of firewalling off the webcam in its own DMZ.

I have never in the past had to expose anything other than my ddns address in the code, so don't see why I should have to here? If the camera works on my ip address, I am lost as to why it won't work with the ddns address. I can access the admin functions of the camera using the ddns, just not the stream.

I could pay the fiver, but that still doesn't solve my problem 100% as the place I am "borrowing" the stream from could switch off any time. I have found a streaming piece of software, but I need to sit and think about what to do as it is quite involved.

Once everything is in place and I have finished playing with internal ip addresses and stuff, yes it will be secured. As it is usually only me or less than 5 visitors a week, I am reasonably ok with it until I get it right.

Farrinaf
Grafter

One thing that does puzzle me with your configuration (easily confused!

rtsp://no-ip.com:554/11

I presume that 554 relates to the port you have opened on your router which is then forwarded onto your internal network camera.

What does the /11 relate to ? (playing around if I change the 11 to another arbitrary value it still seems to successfully connect, although omitting it results in a connection failure)

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

554 is the port allocated to rtsp. The /11 on the end I believe relates to the 2 streams 1280x 720 or 640x 480. I think 11 is the HD feed and 12 is the SD feed. 

I got the stream address from Onvif, which gives several options and also allows me to configure the camera more than I can through its own software. 

I think I may have found a streaming option, but may well have to install software to another device and leave it on, which defeats the object. If I can work out how to do it (and pluck up the courage to try it), it can also be put on a Raspberry Pi instead of running a pc all the time.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you are planning to host the web site, a Raspberry Pi would be essential.

You'd still have to reveal your WAN address and paying for a self-hosted domain name would allow you to hand out a decent URL.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

The website is hosted with a hosting provider and I have my own domain names. It is the streaming aspect I am struggling with.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Yay, working with no-ip.com now Funny