Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Phone recommendations

Be3G
Grafter

IP Phone recommendations

Hi all,
A couple of months ago one of my friends moved over to Russia for several months and, wanting some way to keep in touch with her cheaply, I started using PlusNet's Broadband Phone service, which prior to then I'd never touched other than to briefly experiment with. I have a Mac and am currently using the recommended X-Lite but, well, I can't stand the dratted thing. The interface is ugly and doesn't follow the Mac OS GUI whatsoever, and it's not exactly bug-free either. So, I'd like to get some kind of IP phone to use instead. (I'm aware you can get VoIP/PSTN network adapters which bridge a PSTN phone to the ADSL connection, but they're unsuitable for me). There are loads and loads of wireless Skype phones available... but, it seems, hardly any that are designed for non-Skype VoIP providers. So, does anyone have any recommendations for a preferably wireless IP phone that works well with PN's service? It needs to be easily available (i.e. I don't want to order it and wait a month for it to be delivered), and also preferably not too expensive either - I've seen some wireless Skype phones for under £50, whereas non-Skype ones seem to be double that.
If anyone does have any recommendations they would be most useful.
Thanks,
Thomas
2 REPLIES 2
itsme
Grafter

Re: IP Phone recommendations

Have you considered using a smartphone like the Nokia N95? Believe some PN users have set it up to work with PlusTalk but with some difficulties.
Or I nearly forgot because I use a PAP2 that my HP PDA works very well as a VOIP phone. Cost more than £50 but it's a multi-functional device.
puddy
Grafter

Re: IP Phone recommendations

how about the Siemens GIGASET C460 IP dect IP telephone
or like me the Linksys Pap2-na is a cheaper option or ditch all this and use 1899.com same rates and use a normal phone and BT some calls to europe are free i.e germany and other and you can keep your BT line. register with them then put 1899 before you dial
Puddy