cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address issue with mobile on wi-fi?

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

IP Address issue with mobile on wi-fi?

I'm having an issue with my mobile (while on Wi-Fi) which gives me weather from KolKata (India?) rather then Ballachulish as normal.
A forum question has suggested it's something to do with my IP address being mis-read - rubbish? Possible?
Suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: IP Address issue with mobile on wi-fi?

Simplest way to check if that's the case (unless you have a static IP) is to log in to your router's interface and click the disconnect option, wait about 30 seconds, then reconnect. This should get you a fresh IP address, then check the weather again to see if you get the correct region.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Where does http://whatismyipaddress.com/ think you are located? Click the Additional IP Details button for additional information.
David
itsme
Grafter

Thought the location is worked out by the pattern of WiFi available in a particular area and not by IP address. So what are the SSID's you can see, any with an Indian name?
Edit: I use Google Maps on my mobile nearly daily using WiFi (BTFON) to find streets and I amazed how accurate My Location is, it place me within metres.
NedLudd
Grafter

Your location will be detected by (perm any 1,2,3 or 4 from 4) :-
a) Mobile phone mast location by triangulation
b) GPS on your phone
c) Last known location?
d: Possibly by IP address - unreliable because it is not really geographical(?)
Geoff,
York.
itsme
Grafter

For me google is working out my location by WiFi and mobile cell.
[quote=http://support.google.com/maps/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1725632]
Configure access points with Google Location Service
To improve your use of location-based services, Google, as a location service provider, uses publicly broadcast Wi-Fi data from wireless access points, as well as GPS and cell tower data.
Location services play an important part in enabling many of today’s most popular location-aware applications, in particular on smart phones, laptops and other devices that are WiFi enabled. The inclusion of your WiFi access point in the Google Location Service enables applications like Google Maps to work better and more accurately.
Only publicly broadcast Wi-Fi information is used to estimate the location of a device.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Where does http://whatismyipaddress.com/ think you are located? Click the Additional IP Details button for additional information.

Tried 3 browsers and can't get this to work Sad
Did reset the router (but have static IP for 3 signal boost box) because help line said it would reset something else... can't remember what now  Embarrassed
The update from that is my phone has 'left' India and now says United Kingdom, wife's Samsung is correct as Ballachulish, son's is Tyndrum - 30 miles away and daughters is Highlands!
Any other ideas?
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Reset router again - sorted!
Thanks all for the suggestions & ideas.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I'll leave it for someone else to explain those strange results. Grin
David