cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE9 on win 7 has gone crazy!!!

bubbalicious
Grafter

IE9 on win 7 has gone crazy!!!

I am having a complete nightmare using Internet Explorer 9 on windows 7, and am desperately needing a  hero to see if they can get me out of this mess please?Huh
I open a page and either see a complete white screen that just hangs or some parts of the screen appear but it takes forever to open, I get maybe the header, and nothing below it, the blue ring keeps spinning and I can’t move up and down the page it just stays in that state until I close it, or sometimes I keep getting more and page appearing but the ring keeps spinning and I can't move around the page! I can sometimes search google, the results come up and I select a link, the search screen stays up, blue ring starts spinning but doesn’t proceed!
I am getting messages stating ‘microsoft has stopped working’ or ..website has stopped working’.  Its been happening for about 24hours and whatever I try I can’t resolve it, I really need to be able to access websites! I have checked my router etc, disconnected it from the broadband, that is all working fine, my broadband speed is running at around 9mbps so I can’t see any problem with the hardware!?  It may have happened after some windows updates were installed, but I have unistalled them all again, even restored to a time before updates were installed and all was okay!
I have done the following to try and resolve to no success.
Installed my windows updates and my vaio updates, device drivers, and unistalled ones that could have made the problem!
Restored computer back to a time when there were no issues,
Norton 360 – disabled protection etc!  ran the PC tune up option within 360
Run ‘microsoft fix it’ – results to say I didn’t have windows defender enabled, but I have Norton
Ran Vaio care program, and the vaio check option - no issues
Disabled my add ons
Deleted temporary history,  cookies etc.
Changed to  ‘software rendering instead of GPU rendering’
Finally reset Internet explorer, including the option for ‘delete personal settings’
Would uninstalling and reinstalling  IE9 be any point if I have reset it to when It was first installed is that enough?
One of my other logins has to use Google chrome as a browser, that is working okay, and I have another computer connecting to my internet and that is fine too! I just can’t see what else to try, I have tried looking on the internet for solutions and have followed what I am able to see but with these problems I am limited to access!  The Microsoft sites are acting up really badly, I see the top of the page and  nothing more of them!
Any suggestions very, very welcome!  I have to use Internet Explorer as I have programs that won’t work with Chrome so I can't just use that instead!
cheers peeps Cheesy
8 REPLIES 8
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: IE9 on win 7 has gone crazy!!!

Have you checked the IE setting for disk space for temporary files?
This can easily become corrupted and set to an infeasibly large figure (I've seen 2GB for example) causing all sorts of sloth - I find 25MB is adequate.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

If you're in a position to temporarily uninstall Norton (and reinstall later if needs be) then I'd give that a bash.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bubbalicious
Grafter

thanks peeps very much for your advice! ;D, I have followed both steps suggested and sadly  and am having no improvement, i did run the norton removal tool to be sure norton was all removed!  Now I'm even finding Google Chrome is getting more problematic, with the same issues! Huh
its soooooo frustrating, everything else is working fine!
thanks
Wink
CX
Grafter

So the problem exists even if IE is started in "no add-ons" mode?
If you have Task Manager open whilst you launch Internet Explorer, are any processes being shown as taking up a lot of CPU time whilst IE is unresponsive?
bubbalicious
Grafter

:(sorry guys, so extremely rude of me to not respond to your kind offers of advice, it wasn't intentional:(
My internet explorer completely lost the plot and i couldn't get to any websites, including this forum on either chrome or IE!
Luckily I remembered I bought software support with my laptop, and in the end thought crikey I paid £250 for it, so why not use it!
They have spent the last 3 days trying to remove a 'malware'/virus/ worm? from my system, that they diagnosed had linked itself within the internet explorer software!
After hours of malware scans, clean up software, manual changes, having to cancel all my credit cards etc they have come to the conclusion, 'it's like a small explosion' has gone off, and I now have to go ahead and recover my machine, as it won't leave!!!  they have given me internet access by installing firefox as the browser (so far, so good) temporaily, so now I can get online I wanted to thank those members who have generously taken the time to answer my pleas for help!  Cheesy Grin Thank you  Grin Cheesy
Its so annoying,  I use Norton 360, and thought that would protect me but little did I know, they have installed a program malwarebytes and have advised when the 'free trial period' has expired I purchase the licence and install it after the recovery!
One little question please?
I try and follow reviews before I chose security software, I thought Norton 360 complete security was a good one following reviews I read, but I have been told it has some issues with dealing with older virus's because it removes them from their list to keep the program running quick! apparently it  isn't the best available, and these reviews can be heavily biased and not independent!  They have also warned me about downloding free software!  I always scan any downloads with Norton, but obviously it didn't work this time!  Can anyone suggest somewhere I can visit to get the best chance of downloading clean software, or how do I know if there is a problem with what I am downloading if Norton says it's okay, is there something I should look for, is the saying 'nothing comes for free' something I should apply to when looking for software?!!  Also is there a good website where the review of software and or hardware are impartial!
Its all very confusing, all the knowledge I thought I had built up, I now don't trust  and having had this experience I am terrified what is safe and what isn't!  My bank have cancelled my cards on advice, so I know at least that part of this is safe, but when I recover my machine, and I need some bits of additional software is there a method to follow so I don't make this mess again!
I wish these mean people who make these virus's/malware want to attack people like me!  Angry
Thanks all, I promise now I can access the internet again, I will respond to any members who kindly share their experiences with me! Cheesy
Crazy

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It strikes me that you've just been incredibly unlucky.  It happens. 😞  From what you've said about how you go about choosing software (paid and free) - by checking several different sources for reviews before installing - you seem to take the right approach.  I take it you make sure to download your chosen (and recommended) software from somewhere reputable - the original author's website, or a well-known site like download.com or sourceforge etc.  There are often websites set up with similar web addresses to the "proper" one, that give you the download and purport to be reputable, but actually include malware with the program you want.
As for what is the "best" anti-virus and security software, it varies over the years.  You'll see from posts on this forum that different people prefer different programs.  The important thing is to only have one "always on" anti-virus program running at once.  But then you can run a scan of your hard disc with several different (free) programs every now and then - different programs seem to catch and miss different problems.
I suppose the other thing to think about would be your backup routine.  The belt and braces approach includes regular backups of your date, AND taking regular "images" of your hard disc - and keep several older versions of each backup.  That way, you can recover lost photos and documents etc from the first backup.  And if you get a major problem with your system like you've just experienced, you can wipe your hard disc and put the last "image" backup on to it - restoring your whole system in a fairly straightforward way.
HTH
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: bubbalicious
They have spent the last 3 days trying to remove a 'malware'/virus/ worm? from my system, that they diagnosed had linked itself within the internet explorer software!
After hours of malware scans, clean up software, manual changes, having to cancel all my credit cards etc they have come to the conclusion, 'it's like a small explosion' has gone off, and I now have to go ahead and recover my machine

Quitters!  Make sure they re-install your printer afterwards and your wireless settings and your email and all the good software you downloaded and installed.
I thought Norton 360 complete security was a good one following reviews I read,

It's not bad.  Tends to make older computers run very slowly and is a bit too tolerant of things that are irritating bordering on spyware.
They have also warned me about downloding free software!  I always scan any downloads with Norton, but obviously it didn't work this time! 

There is plenty of good free software out there but you need to make sure it comes from a trusted source.  It's more likely you got the virus because you neglected to update Java or Flash Player.
I wish these mean people who make these virus's/malware want to attack people like me!   Angry

I don't think that came out right, did it?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I would make Firefox your main browser. Smiley
It's free software - as is the Microsoft offering.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."