cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE9 & 10 support being dropped by MS

MatrixRob
Grafter

IE9 & 10 support being dropped by MS

http://www.zdnet.com/article/millions-of-internet-explorer-users-face-patch-security-showdown/?linkI...
This seems to be for older versions IE9 & IE10 to upgrade to IE11
'After January 12th there will be no more patches to protect against drive-by downloads and other browser vulnerabilities'.
Even so, Microsoft Edge is by far from perfect which is why they have included IE11 in Windows 10.
There are the popular alternatives like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera to name a few..
Just a heads up for all legacy IE users.
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
6 REPLIES 6
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: IE9 & 10 support being dropped by MS

Microsoft will still be patching the last version of IE available for a particular version of Windows, IE9 on Vista will still get updates for a bit longer.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

micorsoft dropped mainstream support for vista in 2012, its listed as ending extended OS support in 2017 but from January 12th will no longer be issuing updates for any older than IE11
its worth noting they already dropped mainstream support for windows 7 and will be ceasing extended OS support in 2020,
windows 8  & 8.1 they will drop mainstream support in 2018 and extended support in 2023,
something tells me the wont be supporting anything below IE11 come January regardless of what OS its on
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
MatrixRob
Grafter

'something tells me the wont be supporting anything below IE11 come January regardless of what OS its on'
Well something tells me that once the IE11 upgrade is done on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, the next wave of UPGRADE to Windows 10 will be thrust down our ADSL/ Fibre. Wink
[you read it here first]
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

perhaps the something was this in August 2014 http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/07/stay-up-to-date-with-internet-explorer.aspx
After January 12, 2016, only the most recent version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates. For example, customers using Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, or Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 SP1 should migrate to Internet Explorer 11 to continue receiving security updates and technical support.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Yes, the article did say it was a reminder from Microsoft, with a link to
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support
which links to
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle#gp/Microsoft-Internet-Explorer
Beginning January 12, 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates, as shown in the table below:
Windows Desktop Operating SystemsInternet Explorer Version
Windows Vista SP2Internet Explorer 9
Windows 7 SP1Internet Explorer 11
Windows 8.1 UpdateInternet Explorer 11
Routefinder
Grafter

FWIW, I run W7 Pro 64 bit and use IE10
I wanted to update to IE11 but the install keeps failing even via WUP.  I tried all the MS suggested solutions & workarounds but none worked, so no idea why it just will not update?  Having said that the one thing I did not try was to uninstall IE10..........scratches head, did I even find the uninstall!
So come January the 12th I will switch to Chrome as that is already by secondary/backup browser.
As for W10, I am hanging back from that until I really have to use it..................possibly with a new build later in 2016???