cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE8 and Java

theblisses
Grafter

IE8 and Java

I have IE8 and the larest version of Java, but I an unable so far to get it to work on IE8.  It works perfectly on Safari and Google Chrome, but I mostly use IE8.  Has anyone had the same problem and if so can offer advice as to a solution?  I have tried all the remedies suggested on the Java website.
9 REPLIES 9
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: IE8 and Java

I have no problem with IE8 and Java.
In IE8 under Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced/ Java(Sun)/ I have Use JRE 1.6.0_14... ticked. This might be worth checking.
Have you any security software that might be blocking Java?
theblisses
Grafter

Unfortunatel in common with many other people (having looked at various forums) I do not have an entry in IE8 in IE8 under Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced/ Java(Sun)/ so this option is not available and the "manage add-ons" under Tolls shows all the Java feature enabled.
I have tried it with my firewall disabled but no luck there either.  Thanks for your reply.  Sad
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Highlight the Security tab in Internet Options, select 'Custom Level' and check your Active X control settings as the Java add on is an Active X control. How are you testing to see if it works anyway, and what behaviour are you seeing when it doesn't?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

theblisses
Grafter

I have tried that, Bob.  Still no luck I'm afraid.  I am checking it by going to the Java website which tells me I have the correct version installed, but when I then test it on the same site I just get the outline of a box with a red x at the top left.  As I said on other browsers it works OK.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Are you using a 32-bit or a 64-bit build on IE8? Only reason I ask is that I've just tried this on my home machine running Windows 7. If I visit this link in 32-bit IE the JAVA test works fine. If I visit the same link in IE8 though, I'm prompted for a server password over an insecure link. Cancelling this password prompt gives me the box with the red x.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

theblisses
Grafter

Thanks Bob, I am running 32-bit IE8. The link you gave is the one that I have been using only I do not get the password prompt.  I have done everything they have suggested including reinstalling Java.  There must be a serious incompatiblity somewhere, but it most be able to be rectified because not everyone has the problem.  Does Java show up in Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced/ on your IE8?
jnwright
Grafter

JRE 6 Update 15 was released yesterday.  It might solve some of your problems.
A download link can be found at http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
theblisses
Grafter

Thanks jnwright, my version includes that latest update.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If all else fails you could uninstall IE8.  If java works with IE7 then try re-installing IE8.