Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE10 in W7 64 bit

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

IE10 in W7 64 bit

I know this is a long shot but is anyone running Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 7 64 bit.?
The reason I ask is because I installed Skype recently and all I got was a blue square with the Skype logo.
A bit of Googling suggested IE10 was not working correctly so I fired it up and it immediately crashed.
A bit more Googling and various 'solutions' were tried to no avail.
I therefore uninstalled the relevant Windows update which reverted me to IE9 which worked fine...as did Skype.
I then ran Windows Update and allowed it to reinstall IE10 (a Googled solution) and again it crashed upon running...and Skype failed.
I'm now back with IE9 64 bit and everything in the garden is rosy.
Do I therefore conclude that IE10 bit is incompatible with Windows 7 64 bit Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
19 REPLIES 19
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: IE10 in W7 64 bit

I'm using IE10 on W7x64 but have never seen (unlike earlier version of IE) a 64-bit option....
Edit: Just found this: http://www.ngohq.com/news/23295-how-to-enable-64-bit-internet-explorer-10-in-windows-7-a.html
Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks HP.
Admittedly I haven't been able to see if it was 32 or 64 bit before it crashed so I've amended my OP deleting the reference to IE10 64 bit.
The fact remains that it would not run on my system and I'm currently running IE9.
The ultimate solution is a complete trash and reinstall of Windows which I don't want to do.
That was interesting about UAC which I have turned off. I might give that a try but wouldn't want to leave it enabled.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I also use Skype - no problems. It's actually installing an update right now!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have seen the Skype problem, although not yet solved it.  It is alleged to be something to do with javascript in Internet Explorer.  You might think that Skype has nothing to do with Internet Explorer but remember who now owns Skype.  Some suggest that resetting Internet Explorer does the trick.
Strat
Community Veteran

I tried many solutions including that one RR but the one that worked was uninstalling IE10 Smiley
I'll wait for the next version of IE for W7.
This is interesting in Microsoft downloads...
Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 10
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: Strat
This is interesting in Microsoft downloads...
Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 10

Microsoft made one of those for all the previous IE versions.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

To answer the original question, I run both Internet Explorer 10 and Skype on my own Windows 7 64-bit PC without any problems.  But for some bad Microsoft-style reason, when Internet Explorer goes wrong it can also scupper the current version of Skype.
I met this problem last month, gave up trying to fix it in short order on my clients computer and went away to read up on it.  I thought I remembered reading quite a detailed solution involving Internet Explorer and Javascript but unfortunately I cannot track it down now. 
HughA
Grafter

I use Internet Explorer 10 32 bit on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and Skype without any problems.  My preferred browser though is Pale Moon which seems to be rock solid.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: HughA
I use Internet Explorer 10 32 bit on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and Skype without any problems. 

Indeed it will. AFAIK skype is 32 bit not 64 and as it uses the IE display engine a 32 bit skype will work perfectly with a 32bit IE rendering engine but not a 64bit renderer.
@ReedRichards: Skype uses IE internally to display html content in the chat windows. All those smileys are actually displayed in a html document which is displayed using IE.
It's not IE 10 thats the problem, it's the 64bit rendering engine that can't be used inside skype that is the problem.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Strat
Community Veteran

I've just downloaded the 32 bit version of IE10 and it refuses to install telling me to download the appropriate version for my OS.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Sprite
@ReedRichards: Skype uses IE internally to display html content in the chat windows. All those smileys are actually displayed in a html document which is displayed using IE.
It's not IE 10 thats the problem, it's the 64bit rendering engine that can't be used inside skype that is the problem.

Interesting to know about why IE gets involved in Skype.
I don'r know if this sheds any light:
For IE10, we’ve changed IE such that Manager Processes always run as 64bit processes when running on a 64bit processor running a 64bit version of Windows. This improves security among other things. We do not expect that this change will meaningfully impact compatibility, because the Manager Process is designed not to run 3rd party content, and thus there’s little opportunity for anyone to take a dependency upon the Frame Process’ bitness.
In Internet Explorer on the Desktop, by default, Content Processes remain at 32bit by default for compatibility with 32bit ActiveX controls, Toolbars, BHOs, etc. Even when you directly launch the 64bit iexplore.exe executable, you will still have a 64bit Manager Process that hosts only 32bit Content Processes. If you want to enable 64bit Content Processes for the Desktop, you must tick the Enable Enhanced Protected Mode option in the Security section of Internet Explorer’s Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. When this option is enabled, all Content Processes that are running in Protected Mode (e.g. Internet Zone and Restricted Zone, by default) will begin to use 64bit Content Processes.
Strat
Community Veteran

Please bear in mind the fact that my IE10 immediately crashes upon opening but 'downgrade' to IE9 and that runs fine.
The Skype issue is what lead me to the IE10 problem as I was aware that Skype uses Internet Explorer to display.
As I've said earlier the ultimate fix is a windows reinstall as Microsoft's fixes don't fix it.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: ReedRichards
Quote from: Sprite

Interesting to know about why IE gets involved in Skype.

Yes it's been that way for many years. Yahoo and MSN also used it in their own messengers too. Many of the control panel applets also use it and I think windows media player does too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Strat
Community Veteran

So many people out there having the same problem with IE10 and it also involves KB2670838 update.
The solution most people are using is revert to IE9 as have I Smiley