Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE keeps freezing and crashing..

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

IE keeps freezing and crashing..

Hi guys
Got a problemo. Internet Explorer keeps freezing (then unfreezing) and randomly crashes with the M$ "We're sorry but this program....." message.
Its really annoying. For months I've had to put up with it crashing on this forum whenever I right click and "Open in new window". Now it freezes on youtube videos guaranteed, and many other sites if it feels it gets the opportunity.
This is annoying the hell out of me as I'm totally stumped with this one.
The only recent change was I installed a plugin to deal with IEs printing issues - so that it all fits on one page.
I've tried wiping the temp int files which solved the previous youtube problems but not even that has worked!
Help!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES 4
seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: IE keeps freezing and crashing..

I have seen this problem loads of times and I have never bothered to try and find the cause. What I do for people with this problem is just install firefox!
Rich
Grafter

I agree - switch to Firefox.
If you must use IE, then the first step is to uninstall the Add-in and see if the problem goes away.
Regards
Richard
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you checked the IE settings for Temporary File Disk Space?
I've (often) seen it get very large and cause odd behaviour. Personally I use 25MB or so.
And try disabling all add-ons one by one to see if it's one of them.
BenG
Grafter

Witch version of IE are you using?
I had the same problum with IE6 and it was down to a flaw with some sites, that used some CSS code, but once I upgraded to IE7 the problum went. also as said above try and remove some add-ins, many use Hooks now and almost take over the broswer so maybe one is stoping it. If that does not work as a last resort reset all the settings to default and clean the cache.