cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE 9. Notification bar icon for internet connection

teebee30
Dabbler

IE 9. Notification bar icon for internet connection

I have just moved from Windows XP and IE8 - to new computer with Win 7 and IE 9.
The notification bar at bottom right on the XP machine always showed an icon whenever I was connected to the internet.  Hovering the mouse pointer over this then displayed the connection speed (just 2.8Mbps in my case), and the amount of data uploaded and downloaded.
This icon is not showing in my latest version and I have been unable to find any way of viewing these details.
Presumably there is a simple answer to this - and would welcome suggestions please.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: IE 9. Notification bar icon for internet connection

You shouldn't complain - it was removed by design in Windows 7 and as we all know Microsoft always knows best  Roll_eyes
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It never showed the connection speed, just the sync rate which is faster.  And that was because you were using a broadband modem.  This is not recommended if you want your broadband connection to be as fast as possible and it's also quite difficult to find driver software to run the old broadband modems on newer versions of Windows.
On Windows 7 there should still be a network/wireless connection icon on the notification area of the taskbar.  For a LAN connection the icon looks like a monitor with a plug to the left.  If you right click the icon then choose Network & Sharing Center, a little way down the page on the right click the connection to the right of "Connections" and you will get the connection status window. 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well, not exactly, you COULD show the broadband connection too with XP if it was via a router.
If you turn on UPnP the Internet connection/router, if also suitably configured for UPnP, would appear and you could tick the box in its networking properties for an icon to appear in the tray, showing the sync speed.
teebee30
Dabbler

Did as suggested by RR and the end dialogue box shows "Speed 100Mps".  Somewhat different to the 2.8 Mps under the old XP system.
I was using a BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem previously, as supplied by Plusnet a few years ago. This was incompatible with Win 7, so have now been supplied with a replacement "Speedtouch 1-port router".
But certainly found the XP icon interesting, if not particularly useful, under XP - and always assumed that it was showing my Plusnet connection speed. But this surely cannot have jumped to 100Mps now?
Don't have enough technical knowledge to interpret it - but at least know where to find the info if needeed now.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: teebee30
But this surely cannot have jumped to 100Mps now?

Alas no; 100Mbps is the connection speed of the Ethernet cable between the computer and your new router.