cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE 8

hulls
Grafter

Re: IE 8

So, is there anything in IE8 that would make me want to move away from Firefox?
John
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

It is more standards compliant- but I'd have to say you've already got that in FF so why switch back. Worth upgrading on M$ Windows machines but I'm not planning to use it as a primary browser.
FF has always been a favourite due to the add ons and the ability to customise it so completely and I doubt IE8 will tempt any of the tech crowd who use it for those reasons.
Sadly FF is now popular enough to be worth targeting by hackers so some security professionals are now advising we switch to Opera.
Peterworks
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I installed IE8 yesterday and have found that Outlook Express 6 takes 8 to 10 seconds to load. Reinstalled IE7 and all okay again.
Anyone else found this ?
Peter
P.S. Only have IE because of Windows Update - use FF otherwise, so not a problem for me not to upgrade. Of course Windows Update nags with the 'Critical Update' shield. Have set it not to show in Windows Update.
bobboulby
Grafter

I installed IE8 a couple of days ago and have not had any problems with Outlook Express.
Bob
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Aaaaaaarrrrggghhh!!!!
Installed IE8 last night. Now shortcuts on mapped network drives give the attached warning.
Solution anyone?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Cracked it!
In Internet Properties, Security, Local intranet, Sites the setting Automatically detect intranet network does not work. Un-checking that box and checking the other three boxes (no sites added in Advanced) solves the problem.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)