cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE 8

daviddoc
Grafter

IE 8

Hi has anyone tried this yet, if so is it ok to use the Beta or wait until  complete model is advailable
20 REPLIES 20
Jamie_Hardy
Dabbler

Re: IE 8

its not beta anymore the Release Candidate 1 is out, give it a go you can always uninstall it
Internet Explorer 8 Release Candidate 1 for Windows XP http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=821025fe-9adf-487e-b58c-561b7c8c25db&Displa...
Internet Explorer 8 Release Candidate 1 for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8e31391b-91b2-40c4-8643-7b70d1d5628b&Displa...
scootie
Grafter

ive got the windows 7 beta. its o.k but you have to use the compatabilty view on alot of sites esp plusnet.

Mav
Fixes: 514

I'd be interested in people's reviews of  this release.
I tried the Beta and found a few problems. One major one for me was that it constantly semed to change where it would save pictures (maybe other files, too but never checked).
BTW what, exactly, is a "Release Candidate 1"?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Tony_W
Grafter

I installed IE8 release candidate 1 yesterday.
It took a bit of fiddling to get all of my software to run with it since IE8 likes to have all of the instances of IE operating under an umbrella process. There is a registry fix to prevent this from happening and revert to the IE7 state of separate processes. Currently there isn't a setting to change this behaviour in Tools – Internet options – Advanced tab, but it may eventually be shipped with one, or have the ‘feature’ turned off by default.
There is quite a bit of discussion on the web about sites that are ‘broken’ by this feature – one website owner complaining of having to change a web site of 10,000 pages!
There do not seem to be many advantages to IE8 that I would actually use in normal operation, but perhaps other users would have a different opinion.
Personally, I prefer the simplicity, small size, caching ability and speed of Google's Chrome browser. For me, the only downside of Chrome is the ability to view passwords saved by a user – for example when you log on to a website to collect your mail – in Tools – Options – Minor tweaks tab – Show saved passwords. They may have changed this in recent updates as I only have version 0.2.149.30.
Tony
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: Tony
It took a bit of fiddling to get all of my software to run with it since IE8 likes to have all of the instances of IE operating under an umbrella process. There is a registry fix to prevent this from happening and revert to the IE7 state of separate processes. Currently there isn't a setting to change this behaviour in Tools – Internet options – Advanced tab, but it may eventually be shipped with one, or have the ‘feature’ turned off by default.

i installed ie8 on vista thinking i would still be able to revert to ie7. but could not find no stare you in the face option to revert back. so just uninstalled for now.
daviddoc
Grafter

Hi have installed IE8 all works ok but cannot see much different that i will use.But there again the security is supposed to be better.Will persevere  and update later.
Thanks again for replys
bill
Grafter

I installed IE8 to replace IE6 yesterday. No problems; haven't noticed much difference from IE6 but it seems a bit faster. I tried IE7 last year and didn't like it at all.
Mav

It looks like the final version (for XP/vista) of IE8 has been released.
Has anyone downloaded this version yet? I'm thinking of DL later but just wondered about other's experience.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've had it a few days. Faster than 7. No noticeable issues not forewarned of.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Had it for a week or so... seems OK though I don't use it that much
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mav

Have now installed IE8 but having a strange issue I can't fathom.
It seems that if I CTRL-left click a link or Right click and select 'Open in New Tab' the majority of times the page fails to open but no error supplied. The green progress bar at the bottom does not show.
If I Right click and select 'Open in New Window' or copy and paste the contents of the address bar to a new window or even a different tab in the same window the page is displayed without problems.
Has anyone esle met with this and have a possible solution?

David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: ASBO
ive got the windows 7 beta. its o.k but you have to use the compatabilty view on alot of sites esp plusnet.

Thats a Win 7 problem, not an IE 8 issue.  If you view 2 sites, one in Vista one in 7 using IE8 you'll get different results.
With reguard to your "how to uninstall" issue, go into Add/Remove Program(me)s and then "Windows features" or something (you know, the one where you add remove Windows features).  In that list somewhere will be IE8.  Either that or its in the Windows Update Installed Patches thingymabob which is somewhere I can't remember.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

In the M$ release documentation it states the version of IE8 is different in the Beta to that released for Vista and XP. I assume that the final version of IE8 will be included in the Release Candidate, which should resolve your issue.