Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDE expansion/Raid card

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

IDE expansion/Raid card

Hi guys
I've just got a raid/IDE expansion card from a boot sale today. I've just looked it up on the innovision website:
http://www.ivmm.com/eio/products/dm8401_r.htm
Now it says it doesn't have atapi support. Am I right in thinking that means it won't support optical drives? I suppose being a raid card that would make sense but wanted to check with some experts first.
My latest system has 6 opticals and only 2 of them working. Obviously I wanted all 6 working. It currently has 2 opticals and 1 HDD (might be 2 can't remember tbh). Now I could plug in 4 opticals to the motherboard and run 2 HDDs from the card I suppose but that would seriously complicate things wouldn't it? - I've never used one of these PCI cards before.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES 7
7up
Community Veteran

Re: IDE expansion/Raid card

Come on, someone out there must be able to help.
Sean Branagh, Samuria, anyone?
samuria
Grafter

From what I can see its doesnt support optical. You cant us optical for raid but some cards are expansion cards to give you extra disk hence support cd's. Its not clear if it doesnt support them period or if its only when its running as a raid. maybe its clearer in the manual
Rich
Grafter

That looks suspiciously like an ITE card that I have.  These seem to come in various versions.  The one I have only supports hard disks (and then not all).  I believe some versions have a flash chip that can be flashed with a different BIOS.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You wouldn't use IDE for RAID anyway.
Get an expensive hardware RAID device.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

Axis you're missing the point mate!
I just wanted to get a few more opticals working in my beast! Not fussed about raid although it is a raid card but can be used to simply add extra HDDs without using raid. All I wanted to know is if it can work with opticals but it doesn't matter now as I've just bought one off ebay that definately does!
I'll use this one when I got some more HDDs to add...
samuria
Grafter

On boot up is there a bios screen for the card? Some come with a bios you press a key and it lets you set options maybe something in there
7up
Community Veteran

No idea yet - The ebay one has just turned up but I've not had chance to test either of them!