Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want some install disks

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I want some install disks

Suppose I buy a netbook (with Windows 7, OEM) preinstalled:-
Is it possible to obtain an ISO image of the install CD (for use elsewhere as a guest in a virtual machine)?
I don't really want the Windows software for anything related to the netbook.
Alternatively, is there a legitimate way in which I can move the copy of Windows to another machine - possibly by cloning part of the hard disk onto a USB key?
I will of course be removing the junk software that comes gratis to clog up all Windows machines.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

13 REPLIES 13
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: I want some install disks

Generally,  the nearest you'll get to an image/CD will be a recovery partition.
It's common that these are very picky on what they'll recover, and are generally unusable on other devices.
Also,  the OEM license usually limits the software to the original device, so you'd be in breach of the license if you managed to use it elsewhere. 
However,  the use of terms like this is potentially unfair, and could be struck down if ever tested in law.
Technically,  if you don't agree to the windows license, there's usually a term allowing you return the software for a refund,  but good luck trying.
Alternatively,  you could just by a netbook with Linux installed.
VileReynard
Hero

It will have Linux installed.  Grin
However, for seem reason Linux netbooks (ie cheap fairly low spec devices) are virtually unobtainable outside of USA.
Proper laptops are available in this country - but proper laptops would cost £500+ which is extortionate as I could get a very decent desktop for that.
Since I've paid for Windows and it is not a necessary part of the netbook, I should have the option of deciding what it's ultimate destination should be.
Strongly tempted to look on Pirate Bay (yes - it's still going strong).

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: kmilburn
Technically,  if you don't agree to the windows license, there's usually a term allowing you return the software for a refund,   but good luck trying.

My laptop (2009, Vista), had a notice on the box along the lines of: if you don't like the windows license, return the whole laptop.
VileReynard
Hero

That's a bit much - just because they're a bunch of cheapskates who won't pay for a CD.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

SOME companies will refund the M$ fee, but not many, Dell may, as there have been several high profile examples of it doing so, along with HP etc.
VileReynard
Hero

Apparently Acer are frightened of Microsoft - they're a smaller company than Dell and get bullied a bit more.
They only the 4th largest seller of PC's.
They have a bad history when it comes to putting the customer first.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Acer also have a bad history when it comes to build quality.  But there you go.
An OEM Windows licence is supposed to be tied to the machine with which it was supplied.  In practice I doubt that Microsoft wouod notice if you did otherwise.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It probably wouldn't work for a whole host of reasons. BIOS checking for starters.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

The price for Win 7 Professional on the Microsoft site is £219.99. That will provide you with a DVD to allow reloading.
However if your needs are simple, say just browsing, word processing and spreadsheets; the latest Samsung Chrome book is £229. For that you get the laptop computer, operating system, office software and 200 GB of on-line storage. It makes you wonder why people ever buy the retail version of Windows.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

VileReynard
Hero

I don't understand that Wikipedia article.
There appears to be a whole bundle of subtly different licence keys - although the article refers to a license - which would be an inappropriate usage.
Windows is too complicated for me - especially when written in a foreign language.
Microsoft released the following generic product keys that can be used to avoid product activation on any SLP-enabled computer using the corresponding version of Windows XP: (Please note that the following keys are not volume license keys (VLK). The installation source must also be SLP-enabled by the manufacturer.

TLA's rule.  Grin
eh?  Angry
I shan't even be reading the different EULA's - which I've already forgotten what it means.

avatastic
Grafter

Google for Digital River Windows 7 ISO and the Windows 7 USB/DVD creation tool.
Digital River are the official distribution channel for the downloaded W7 images, the USB/DVD creation tool is provided by Microsoft for use with these images.
These will be pure Windows 7 so may not include all the drivers needed by the netbook.
Cheers,
A.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
VileReynard
Hero

Unless I am mistaken, I can use these methods to burn a CD (or otherwise) to make Windows 7 into a virtual machine running as a minor guest on my Linux desktop???