cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought I was going to have to eat my words.

seanbranagh
Grafter

I thought I was going to have to eat my words.

I recently set up a fileserver in a small office for a client. Based on my experience I used CentOS / Samba for this and assured the client it would be the most reliable computer they have compared with their Windows workstations.
That was two weeks ago and this morning I got a phone call stating that they were unable to connect to the fileserver. I immediatly got in the car to make the short drive not believing that CentOS could possibly have let me down, it never has before. At the same time I was afraid of having to eat my words.
When I got there the problem was very quickly fixed, a badly seated stick of RAM, the computer wouldn't post. So thankfully I did not have to eat my words (so far as the operating system goes)
  Smiley
2 REPLIES 2
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: I thought I was going to have to eat my words.

But who built the computer?  Grin Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: I thought I was going to have to eat my words.

Not me. It was an existing machine they had, IMesh. I only added a second hdd and installed CentOS. I suppose I should have maybe gave it a clean out with an air duster at the time. I have seen that issue countless times before. Computer wont post, remove RAM, give it a little clean and put it back in, job done.
The main thing was that CentOS was not the problem  Smiley