cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I have finally lost it!

seanbranagh
Grafter

I think I have finally lost it!

I finally realized that I may have issues when I found myself adding dado trunking to what was already an insane installation in my house.
Before anyone asks, the power and data cables are well seperated within the trunking and all the sockets are wired in a ring.
25 REPLIES 25
artificer
Grafter

Re: I think I have finally lost it!

that's one of the neatest wiring setups i've seen.  be proud of it.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Thankyou, I am quite happy with it. I do think it is just a little beyond necessity though. Grin
Santiago
Grafter

That excellent set up would satisfy my OCD leanings, however I think you should get out more Sean!
techguy
Grafter

Very nice indeed
samuria
Grafter

One very small point you should be careful of clipping down ethernet cable as in doing you can alter the inductance and other properties of the cable by compressing it
seanbranagh
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
however I think you should get out more Sean!

LoL. I get out at least once a week. I do stuff like this when I am in and have free time. Other people may use this time to do something I find boring like watching football but I like to be constructive. Would be a boring world if we were not all different. Smiley
Samuri, Not sure if you think I cut patch leads to length? That would be expensive. I make the cables myself from a box of Cat 5e and rj45's. I would use cat 6 as there is an abundance of scrap from my current job but it is more difficult to work with and cat 5e runs my gigabit network fine.
In my full time job (data/fibre cabling/wireless) the only isues we come accross with cables are caused by overlength (90 metres) and very tight bends usually in the wallbox. We use a Fluke DTX 1800 to test. I use a simple wiremap tester my my cables at home as I don't think my boss would let me take the £6k Fluke meter home!
Lurker
Grafter

Sean, Samuria was referring to a similar issue as that caused by tight corners.
If you use cable clips which are too tight, the twisted pairs can have the twists altered slightly where the clip compresses the cable, resulting in increased susceptibility to noise interference.
On a cable which is a short as a most patch leads, its unlikely to cause any issue, equally it looks as if you have used cable grips which are the right size (or larger) that the cable you have secured, and additionally have used screws rather than risk bashing the cable with a hammer, so I reckon its not an issue for you in the pictured part of your netwrok.
Just another thing to be aware of, but something thats unlikely to cause problems in most home networks where cable runs are likely to be shorter, and data transfer is unlikely to be pushing the upper limits of the cable.

Depending upon your network card, you can often download some pretty funky testing tools. Broadcom do some great analysis tools on some of their cards, although the utility is often a download hidden away on the OEM manufacturers website.
Depending on what kit you have, you may be able to press one of your machines into service as a cable tester when you need it, and if its a notebook, so much the better, you can use it when you visit some of your customers too if you suspect an issue. Far cheaper than buying a dedicated tester for such things. Wink
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

So... where do we buy tickets for the tour?  Cheesy Grin Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
seanbranagh
Grafter

Tour? Huh
chillypenguin
Grafter

Yes Sean, there has been a rumour circulating the forums that you are holding a open day this weekend  Cool
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

My flights are booked, don't tell it me it was a hoax  Cry
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
seanbranagh
Grafter

LoL. I am flattered but believe me the bits photographed on my site are the only good bits. The rest is just cables lashed accress the attic etc.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

We've already booked James Bailey as the tour guide Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am lucky then, booked with Ryan Flair, heard they cancel calls without telling you (I am 15 min drive from Stanstead)