Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received a warning

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I received a warning

Whilst "googling" for more information on the Tropical Storm Grace, just off the coast of Portugal, at present, I clicked on a google link, and was presented with the following warning message,  (complete with yellow exclamation mark in a triangle)

Your system requires immediate check !
System security will perform a quick & free scan of your PC for viruses & malicious programs

(and then the usual boxes      [  OK  ]    [  cancel  ]

__________________________________________________________________________________
The above was in the "traditional colour bars etc, of windows messages, and was "on top" of another page
that looked very much like a Windows Defender page, showing several trojans and malaware infections in red...
I ALMOST clicked on the OK, then something twigged, that it may not be what it seemed,  and could possible be a trojan message itself, to get me (or other recipients) to go for the free scan, and then get involved in paying for the removal process....
so I clicked on cancel, but it just kept coming back.... I could not click on the X top right, as it kept coming back.  Eventually I did clear it off the screen, by using ctrl alt del, and the proceeded to run the updated Malwarebytes Antimalware program, which revealed no threats, and then I ran the updated Superanti-spyware, which also revealed no threats.... just to be certain, that it was NOT a windows defender message, I ran Windows Defender, and again it came up with no threats.
so I post this as a WARNING to others to be aware of this particular warning.   

Don`t click OK just because it is there !
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: I received a warning

Funny you should mention that - I got exactly the same warning when downloading a skin for Jalbum this evening
hadden
Grafter

Of course, if a fake Windows screen, clicking a fake "Cancel" button may be as bad as clicking a fake "OK" button Smiley
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sounds nasty .. another one of those cases where they pretend your PC has something, and trick you into downloading something dodgy.
I've only had something similar on occasions (some time ago), and have resorted to killing IE via Task Manager.
Looks like that old trick is coming back with a vengeance.
scootie
Grafter

funny that. my mum an sis started to get loads of these warnings so i just teached them to process kill IE8 as most of them wouldnt allow the IE8 tab to be shut.
thankfully i put the fear of god into them and make them think the world will end if a virus gets in so they allways check with me if there not sure before clicking on things.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

mine was with Firefox and i just closed the popup window