Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm desperate; my zip won't undo!

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm desperate; my zip won't undo!

I received an email from a known source with a zip file attached, but get a warnign that Windows has blocked it from being opened. There are instructions how to seal with same
How blocking some attachments helps protect your computer
………..
In most cases, Windows XP SP2 will block files that have the potential to harm your computer if they come to you through e-mail or other communication programs. Windows will block these files if your program is running in a strong security mode. Most files that contain script or code that could run without your permission will be blocked. Some common examples of this file type are those with file names that end in .exe, .bat, and .js.
Blocking these files is very important to do, since directly opening files of this type poses a risk to your computer and personal data.
Is there any way I can open files that have been blocked?
If you are certain that you trust this file and want to open it, follow the instructions below.
1. Save the file onto your computer.
2. Click Start, click My Computer, and navigate to the file that you saved.
3. Right-click the file that you saved, and then click Properties.
4. Click Unblock near the bottom of the dialog box.
I have tried those, but when I get to #4  there is no sign of a way to unblock within properties. How the dickens then do I unblock the item?
I use XP Home SP3; Mozilla Firefox; Plusnet for email client; Office 2000
Suggestions please!
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
11 REPLIES 11
Denzil
Grafter

Re: I'm desperate; my zip won't undo!

Your email client will probably be preventing you from opening it from the email, but once you have saved it to your PC somewhere you should be able to open it. The fact there is no Unblock on the right click menu suggests to me that it is not blocked! What happens if you try to open it? What are you opening it with, just Windows or something like Winzip or 7zip?
Luzern
Hero

I am taken to the Windows Compressed File Extraction Wizard and the saga starts again. My own Ziper is JustZipIt and I have never encountered this problem before.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Denzil
Grafter

Presumably that is by double clicking it? Somehow Windows has taken over as the default unzipper, by the sounds of it. Two things to try, if you haven't already (forgive me if this is stating the obvious, but best to get the simple stuff out of the way) - right click on the file and open it with JustZipIt, or open JustZipIt first then open the zip from its menu.
artificer
Grafter

you might lower your security settings, then see if windows will part with it.
Luzern
Hero

In the end I think there must havebeen some corruption of my zip prog, for a uninstall reinstall of JustZipIt seems to have done the trick.
Not applicable

Good to hear you got it figured out!
fakesnake
Grafter

sorry but your title had me seeing you hoping up and down on one leg Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Its just that Lucerne tends to pick titles to get you worried, I havnt a clue what the connection is in the one she has just started about Rent
Not applicable

Wondering if that one was a typo from 'Recent'?
Luzern
Hero

@ James_H. Clearly you know a trypeist when you see one Wink Title now amended
@pierre pierre. As if I would. All my friends tell me how straight faced I am.
Wifey would be shocked to hear of my gender change Shocked
Not applicable

Having had to decipher many of my typing misdemeanors befor sending mails etc I'm getting pretty good at spotting when the brain has become temporarily disconnected from the fingers!