Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I`m Plumb Stuck with this problem !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I`m Plumb Stuck with this problem !

Plumbing question..... How do I access the tap washer to replace it on this kind of tap, please?

P1100425.JPG

It`s dripping, and wasting about 2 ltrs a day...

that`s over 700 ltrs in a year ! ! !... 

or to put it another way... about 155 gallons ! ! ! ...

Yeah.. I know... I have to turn off the mains supply first.... no problem there... the mains input stop tap is below the sink !..

I just cannot find anyway of getting to the "innards" of this type of tap to change the washer.

20 REPLIES 20
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: I`m Plumb Stuck with this problem !

@shutter 

Have you looked for a small hole on the back of the lever bit. There normally is one with an Alan grub screw accessible if you poke an Alan key down the hole. I was going to suggest a new tap then thought Yorkshire.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Surely there must be a screw holding the tap handle on to the shoulder I doubt it's compression alone. If you can't see by turning the tap use a mirror to look behind and underneath it to look for the fixing. Once you have this off then it'll be a standard washer change.

Baldrick1

@Mook  @shutter 

These look like they may be quarter turn ceramic capsule types to me so may need a new capsule. Getting these tap heads off the spline can be a real pig as a grub screw often burrs the splines and you get lime build up from the leak. Getting levers in tends to either damage the body/plating and/or can finish the valve off completely.

Moderator and Customer

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the input guys... !   I have looked around the back of the top part of the tap  ( It turns a quarter of a turn horizontally not a vertical lever type).. and there is no hole for a grub screw... I also did a "feel" around the tap, and cannot "feel" any indentation where a grub screw could be....  Hence the question of how to access the washer.

From what has been said so far.. it seems that it is a matter of getting a good strong flat blade screwdriver (or two)  under the base of the lever, and levering it upwards to remove the lever,.. and that should expose the "normal" place for a tap washer to be hiding.

Just a thought.. is there a special name for this type of tap,...?   then I could google that, and see what it says, or maybe a youtube video ?

Any further comments, welcome,...................Smiley

Baldrick1

@shutter 

If it's a quarter turn ceramic type I would make sure that you have a repalcement cartridge ready to fit. In the past I have tried levering tap handles off and wrecked the valve inserts entirely so I had got to the point of no return and had to get the handle off or end up with a far worse leak than when I started. You keep mentioning a washer, ceramic cartridges do not have one apart from sealing the joint.

Moderator and Customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with  Baldrick1 it looks like it will be a ceramic disc washer 

A tip when removing the washer body use a 6 sided socket better than 12 sided as they don't take the corners off the nut  with a long bar and a crows foot spanner to hold the tap with a piece of cloth rapped round to protect the chrome 

Adjustable and water pump pliers tend to slip and are not long enough

I have seen where people have cracked or chipped the sink

HD

ROTHENBERGER BASIN WRENCH 1/2" & 3/4"Sink Plumber Crowfoot Plumbing Tools  New - £4.99 | PicClick UK

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

As above, had to replace that cartridge in my bath tap as well and it had me scratching my head at first. 

Make sure you get the right size cartridge and just check if it's not cheaper to replace the entire tap instead. The cartridge can also be a bit a b****r to get out as well.

Good luck.... and don't forget get to isolate the tap first! 😆

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I assume it’s a hot water tap.....does it matter.....well it might, my experience with taps is that changing anything on a cold water tap was no problem but on old hot water taps some sort of crud seems to build up and almost welds the parts together making it almost impossible to unscrew.

If it’s a cold water tap and uses a cartridge, ensure you get the blue one and do not do what I did and put the wrong one in so the tap turns on in the opposite direction....always a good talking point when guests use the bathroom.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@shutter 

Yes, there is a special name for this type of tap ... but it's unprintable on this family forum  🙄

I agree with others that efforts to dismantle the tap may render it unusable, especially if it's an old unit, so maybe it's better left alone until after lockdown if you are isolating. It probably has a ceramic cartridge which may be difficult to source as they come in various versions ... in your shoes I would buy replacements and have them ready to fit before I tried dismantling.

No connection with Screwfix other than a satisfied customer: they have similar taps at £25-£30 pair and if you can fix the old ones Screwfix will accept returns provided you have the receipt.  At this price I wouldn't waste time on repairs myself, you'll pay a tenner for new discs anyway.

shutter
Community Veteran

OK>.. thanks again guys.... so.. it seems, from the responses. that...

a)  there`s some doubt as to whether I can remove the top without doing more damage

b) there`s some doubt about what type ( although probably ceramic) washer is within

c) there`s some doubt about the "right one"... so would have to buy several

d). it would probably be cheaper , and safer, to leave it dripping, until I can source replacements and get a plumber to do the job.

Sooooooooooooooo Glad. I asked before turning off the water.... !

Thanks... everyone.  Wink

much appreciate the inputs...  Wink

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

OK>.. thanks again guys.... so.. it seems, from the responses. that...

d). it would probably be cheaper , and safer, to leave it dripping, until ... 

You could leave a container in the sink to catch the drips @shutter  and tip that into a bucket from time to time.

When you have 'enough' water in the bucket use it to refill the lavatory cistern immediately after flushing.

That won't save the planet but it'll save you a few pence.  Smiley

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  thanks for the Daft Reply ! ! ! ! ...

of course... you have to imagine the timing for your solution.....  as soon as you have finished doing your doings... then you flush the toilet....  ?  yeah... water gushes down into the bowl.... and immediately starts to refill from the "autofill" system.. (ballcock valve on the inlet pipe)... get your ladder out... put it in position... find the bucket of saved water drips.. climb the ladder with it,.. being careful not to fall... empty the bucket of saved water drips into the already full cistern tank. and get covered in all that lovely cold water overflowing... which knocks you off the steps, and you fall down head first into the pan. on the way down,.. you let out a scream of fright... and the missus ( or next door neighbour) comes rushing to your aid only to find the toilet door locked and blocked by your body, on the floor, wedged between the pan and the door...

er.. no.. I don`t think so ! !  Huh

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Ladder @shutter ?Huh

I'd more or less forgotten about those old fashioned 'pull-chain' high level cisterns, and assumed you had a modern low-level one!

You forgot to include running out to the back yard!

Smiley

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

For areas like this I always fit an in line isolation valve so you do not have to turn off all the water in the house while doing the job.

Plenty to choose from HERE  

Good luck!  😊