cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Dreaming of a SKYPE Christmas

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm Dreaming of a SKYPE Christmas

I currently use single contact screen facility on SKYPE to talk to friends, family & business here in the UK, and abroad.
Often at this time of day for foreign contacts  !!
For this year, I am thinking of possibly using a multi contact screen for Family at Christmas, possibly even at the various local Christmas Dinner times, or more likely just after.

Does anyone have experience of Group Video Calls on SKYPE ?

I have read these two guides.
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10801/making-a-group-video-call-mac
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10614/making-a-group-video-call-windows-desktop
It all looks easy enough, with a Day or Month Premium pass.
As I understand it, only myself would have the multi-screen, though I could screen share ?

I never have any problems with buffering etc on single contact SKYPE, my BB speed hovers around 19mb/s.
Other family members have varying local BB speeds.
Any advice and experience welcome, TIA

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm Dreaming of a SKYPE Christmas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Received the voucher for the 12 months Free SKYPE Group Calls.
Will be put to good use over Christmas, before we all depart for sunnier climes to welcome in the New Year.
Will be good to confirm travel arrangements etc  visually.
But best of all, to see other Family members on Christmas Day, those that cannot come to ours for Mega Christmas Lunch and other events.
Friends and colleagues too, though separate SKYPE chats for them
dragon2611
Grafter

I know If the person setting up the call has group video calling it will work for everyone in the call.
It might be even the case that it simply needs one of the people on the call to have group video calling (I.e it doesn't actually have to be the person that started the call) but I'm not sure.
It does work quite well providing the connection is fast enough and the people being called have good cameras.
Video conferencing equipment manufacturers must hate it as thesedays it seems to be more common for businesses to use Skype (or a similar software based solution) instead of purchasing dedicated VC suites