cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have some routers - are they any good for using on Plusnet Fibre Please :-)

plusbg
Grafter

I have some routers - are they any good for using on Plusnet Fibre Please :-)

Hello, I have a few routers knocking about, they are from old ISP's that haven't bothered asking for them back so I've kept them collecting dust in the cupboard. I was wondering if any of them give any superior experience over that of the TG582 or Sagem 2704N routers? I personally feel that the TG582 kicked "the dust" by far over the 2704 as the 2704 is so locked down. I found the port forwarding useless and I just finally pulled the whole thing out in the early hours and plugged my old router back in.
Just an addition question to please -> Having turned SIP ALG off on the TG582 and had the router turned off for 6 hours, will the SIPALG have switched itself back on again?
The routers I have regarding my above question:
1x Sky SR101 (If I remember this is a Sagem under the bonnet)
1x BT Homehub 3
1x Sagem that I have no idea of the model of 🙂
I've took a photo (attached)  if anybody recognises them - are they just museum pieces or could I get them working with Plusnet Fibre and get more decent features than the routers I currently have from PN? They come from Sky and BT of course when I used to be with them 🙂
(Could a mod move this post if they feel there is a better place for it where I might get more responses?)
Many thanks 🙂
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: I have some routers - are they any good for using on Plusnet Fibre Please :-)

Just an addition question to please -> Having turned SIP ALG off on the TG582 and had the router turned off for 6 hours, will the SIPALG have switched itself back on again?
It shouldn't, the setting is stored in NVRAM so unless you factory reset it, the setting should stay.
As to routers:-
1x Sky SR101 (If I remember this is a Sagem under the bonnet)
Probably ( not sure ) locked to Sky.
1x BT Homehub 3
Should work fine. See setup guide here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/using-a-bt-homehub-3-or-2-on-plusnet-adsl-or-fttc/
1x Sagem that I have no idea of the model of 🙂
No idea unless you can find the model no

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusbg
Grafter

Re: I have some routers - are they any good for using on Plusnet Fibre Please :-)

Thanks for the reply 🙂
Is it possible to turn off the SIP ALG on the Homehub 3 and what make of router is it under the bonnet - any good? Does it have all the functionality (and maybe more) than the TG582 I'm relying on - I run an Asterisk, Web, Mail, Docs and User Server so it needs to be pretty good at handling servers!
Thanks 🙂
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I'm afraid I have never actually used one so don't know the details, you'll need to google a bit. I do know there are 2 versions A & B which had different hardware.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.