cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I do get them (MS Updates)- but too much???

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I do get them (MS Updates)- but too much???

My browser is Firefox and system XP Home.
I can understand getting a message, when I turn off the box at the end of the day, that updates are being downloaded. What I do not understand is their being downloaded even if I turn off after just a few minutes' use.
Surely updates are not that frequent and I wonder if I've somehow set things up wrong.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: I do get them (MS Updates)- but too much???

There are a lot of security and various other updates for windows on a frequent basis.
The main ones are issued on the 2nd Tuesday each month but you can also get daily and weekly updates for things like Windows defender or outlook spam checker.
Denzil
Grafter

These are all Windows updates are they? A lot of applications will try to update, especially firewall and anti-virus, which will often try to update every time you switch on.
Will
Grafter

Disable auto-update. It's a pain in the a**.
Then update once a week when you have the time.
Reason: Well ever since MS released that update for XP about a year ago that crashed my PC as well as many others. I refuse to trust auto-update.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You should allow any anti-virus/spam software to updated when they want (daily if necessary) so you always have the latest definitions.
MS updates I tend to update when I'm told they are available - I have MS update set to download but inform me, not to auto-install.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I'm kind of the same as Peter - Automatic Updates is set to inform of updates but not download. This is because I like the choice of when I update, not when it's scheduled to.
AV/etc is all on auto-update.
jagger
Grafter

You can turn off automatic updates and go do it manually using Firefox.Choose which bits of bloat to download and install without being forced to use IE7.
http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/
I simply refuse to give Billy Boy unobserved control of my computer.