cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like to try Linux

hulls
Grafter

I'd like to try Linux

My son's laptop has given up the ghost (basically Windows 7 just stopped working and the recovery partition hasn't worked.)
I could buy a set of recovery discs (he didn't make his own ) Roll_eyes
But I thought about giving Linux  try, as I'd never tried it before
So as a complete newbie - how do Igo about it? How much will it cost me?
John
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'd like to try Linux

Have a look at http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
For a "complete newbie", I would recommend choosing (at step #1) Version "10.04 LTS" rather than the latest release.
Waldo
Grafter

You may also like to give Kubuntu a try; its largely personal preference whether you opt for the GNOME desktop environment of Ubuntu or KDE on Kubuntu. You may find KDE is a little more Windows-like.
Downloads can be booted and run from CD/DVD or USB memory sticks; you can get a feel for both GNOME and KDE without having to install to hard disk first.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Linux is 'Open Source' and as such the vast majority of distributions (versions) are free of charge.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Have a look here: http://distrowatch.com/ for some idea of just how much is available.
I'd personally recommend Linux Mint above Ubuntu (and it's currently top of the page hit rankings).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

As has been said above Linux is FREE (of cost to buy & use).
I also would recommend Linux Mint (see my sig for a link) but get the Mint 11 release rather than the latest, it still has a few rough edges, although a new user may like it.
If you have trouble downloading it drop me a pm.
Ellis
Grafter

I use Ubuntu 10.04LTS (Long Term Support). Any of the Ubuntu family (anything with *ubuntu or the Mint variations) provide free software as well as free OS. If you are on the Value BB with PlusNet, I would suggest you download between 12.00mn and 8.00am, as it then won't count against your 10 GB allowance.
hulls
Grafter

Thanks guys
I'll give it a go.  A friend lent me a copy of a Windows 7 disc, but that wouldn't install either, so the hard drive may be gone, or going. I guess trying to install Ubuntu will show that one way or the other.
The only thing he may miss is ITunes, as I don't think you can get a Linux version.
John
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are Linux equivalents to iTunes, OR you could just install the Windows version like this - http://www.junauza.com/2010/07/how-to-install-itunes-on-ubuntu-linux.html
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If you run a "live cd" version, you may get a message about "your hard drive is failing"... when you boot into it..... something windows will not warn you about !  If you do.... just go and buy a new hard drive...!
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you run the Ubuntu (version 10.10, or 10.04) "Live" CD or USB stick
Go to -
System --> Administration --> Disk Utility
Then scroll down to the hard drive.
Select "SMART Data", then in that screen "Run Self-test"
hulls
Grafter

What a clever idea  Smiley
Apparently the disc has 557 bad sectors, and warnings for "Current Pending Sector count"  and "reallocated Sector Count" Huh Whatever they are.
So it may be that the hard drive is on the way out.
John
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you are in the "Disk Utility", what model of hard drive does it say the laptop has ?
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: hulls
My son's laptop has given up the ghost (basically Windows 7 just stopped working and the recovery partition hasn't worked.)
I could buy a set of recovery discs (he didn't make his own ) Roll_eyes
But I thought about giving Linux  try, as I'd never tried it before
So as a complete newbie - how do Igo about it? How much will it cost me?
John
I Have been using Mint 11 for the past few months and only wish I had discovered it years ago.
I guess what puts a lot of people off is that it is free so how can it be any good, along with that is the wrong impression that you must have to have a good knowledge of using code.
I do use windows 7 mainly to run photoshop but it's on a separate partition of my disk and I would never use it to access the internet, the days of firewalls, anti virus programs and very long windows updates are a thing of the past for me.
The previous posts will have given you the answer to your questions and I suspect you may well be tempted to move over to Linux once you have seen it in action on your sons computer.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
hulls
Grafter

Update:
Ubuntu looked OK from the memory stick, so I tried to install it, but the installation failed. I was pretty sure  that the disc is at fault, so I took the hard drive from an old laptop of his (the power connector on the motherboard was at fault on that) Just out of interest, I fired it up, and Vista loaded fine (apart from the problems you'd expect with hardware drivers)  He seemed to want to stay with that set up if possible, so I updated the Windows installation and that seems to be working fine.  All that said, it's given me an itch to try Ubuntu properly, and I'll probably install it on an old machine to start with and give it a proper work out.
John