cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I appear to be under ddos attack

David_W
Rising Star

I appear to be under ddos attack

My router is picking up lots of ddos activity and port scans, I'm pretty sure thats not legal (plus I'm 99% sure I know who is behind it) how can I remedy this please? Smiley
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: I appear to be under ddos attack

You would near to raise an abuse complain with the ISP in question.
I guess you could also firewall off their IP address, but I have absolutely no idea how you would do that Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

Its many IP addresses and filling my router log up (as well as stealing my bandwith which isn't nice, its peak rate now)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You could also turn on the broadband firewall here
Remember to reboot your modem/router once you've made any changes to the firewall settings.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
David_W
Rising Star

It was on Low, its now on High and hasn't had any effect at all, the packets are still getting to my router (even after a reboot) is the firewall not working on port scans and ddos?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Depends on wha ports they are scanning / attacking, if is things like port 80, 110, 25 they are all allowed through.
Do you have a netgear DG834 router by any chance. These tend to be over enthusiastic in reporting DDOS attacks when in fact its just  'internet noise' that everyone gets. If you do have such  router just disable the DDOS reporting as it is incorrect.
Note (D)DOS are when you get 100s of connections in a very short time (seconds) often from multiple IP addresses. Getting occasional ones throughout the day is not an attack or DDOS but the general internet noise everyone gets.
David_W
Rising Star

Thats what I had, my peak rate usage shot up over 10GB today!!  I'm very unhappy with that fact because I'm now up to 19GB usage, 10GB of which is that constant ddos attack (150,000 packets in a couple of minutes).  PN were very helpful, and moved me onto a dynamic IP address, I'm really kinda sad though, I've had the same IP address for years (2002ish?) so it became like a phone number to me Sad  I just hope no one else was assigned that IP address straight away.  I'm hoping the guys from PN will be able to do something about my broadband usage from it though 😕