Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am interested in the Echo from amazon

FIXED
tgr
Grafter

I am interested in the Echo from amazon

Has any one got it and if so is it as good as they say and what are the draw backs etc very grateful for help as I am 78 and am not sure whether this would be suitable for me

6 REPLIES 6
mikewalsh
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: I am interested in the Echo from amazon

Fix

You need broadband and a mobile (to set up using alexa app). Once set up it is great. I use the echo dot - more flexible as you can use its own speaker or connect  to your own speaker using Bluetooth or a standard connecting cable ( not supplied) . The larger echo doesn't have this facility and the Speaker is only marginally better than the one built into the dot.  I would soon run out of space if I told you all it can do - all by voice command - play music, radio, news, weather even jokes and lots more. Eg 'alexa play Christmas carols' and off it goes until I say 'alexa stop playing'. 'Alexa what's new' gives me the news and weather.

Regards

tgr
Grafter

ty very much for your help

tgr
Grafter

do you have to leave your mobile on to keep it working as I have set mine up  and then it seemed to stop working when i turned off my mobile so i am not sure what to do thanks for any help

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tgr - No. Once it is configured you don't need to run the Alexa App and you can close it.

mikewalsh
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Presume you used add new device to set up your echo then, once set up you can use

the app to check that your echo is online - if not check the wifi settings.

Otherwise you only need to use the app to adjust settings or add new skills.

Regards Mike

tgr
Grafter

Thank you