cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Phone 3g SMTP problems

cavinghippy

I Phone 3g SMTP problems

Hi all. Drawn a blank from the I Phone forums and Plusnets support team so seeing if anyone out there can help.
I can receive Plusnet e-mail fine on the IPhone..
I can send the occasional simple one line e-mail.
I cannot send anything with attachments nor forward mails.
My account settings are as per the mail account on my Laptop which works fine.
I am connected to the Plus Net service via my WiFi
I have read an article on this forum that the SMTP server settings on the IPhone should be set to use the PlusNet account Username and Password NOT the mailbox password. I've tried this and in all cases I get the error "Cannot send mail, The connection to the outgoing server "relay.plus.net" has failed". Using these settings I have authentication via password selected and am not using SSL.
Can anyone help please ?
Andy
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: I Phone 3g SMTP problems

Hi Andy,
If your iPhone is connected to your router wirelessly and the router is connected to us, you shouldn't need authentication.
Can you try without and see if it's any better?
cavinghippy

Hi James
Sorry ,not quite sure what you mean. If I disconnect my I phone from the network how else can I send mail ? I assume I can't send via the SMTP server if I'm connected via 3g or GPRS ?
Andy
James
Grafter

Hi Andy,
Sorry - I was trying to say that if your phone is connected wirelessly to your router which connects to us, you don't need to use authenticated SMTP.  I was just wondering if you had your iPhone set up specifically to use authenticated SMTP and whether or not it worked without it Smiley
cavinghippy

Well, the set up in the I phone gives you the ability to turn off the SMTP server. I tried this and found the same problem. I could send a one line mail, reply to it from another address but I cannot then reply from the I Phone. It's ridiculous, I don't understand how I can send a mail but I can't forward or reply (or seem to send a larger mail with content ) !
Andy
cavinghippy

If it helps I've set up a google mail account and if I send a mail on my plus net account I have to disable the Wifi, this then allows the mail to send.
Andy