Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I.E.7 installed.... still get Outlook Express 6 running

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I.E.7 installed.... still get Outlook Express 6 running

I have finally upgraded to IE7.... I thought this would also update the Outlook Express email however, when I click on the OE icon, I still get a blue box that says I am running Outlook Express 6.  Any help on this please?
6 REPLIES 6
paulby
Grafter

Re: I.E.7 installed.... still get Outlook Express 6 running

You will still have OE6 after updating to IE7.  There wasn't an update to OE.
shutter
Community Veteran

O.K. Thanks Paul.... can you answer this problem ?
Usually when I click on the icon for email, I wait a couple of seconds for the OE6 box to appear, often, it doesn`t, and the computer makes the M$ error "plink plonk" sound.  I then click on the icon again, and it loads up o.k.... I get the feeling I have two "installs"  on , with only one fully working, If this is the case, then how can I clear out the "non working version"... I thought IE7 upgrade would have solved this, but if it wasn`t updated, then ...????Huh
paulby
Grafter

OE is installed as part of the Operating System (Xp) so it's unlikely that you have two instances of it on your machine.
If you're trying to open OE just after logging on you may run into that sort of error until the machine has fully booted - what happens if you leave it for, say, 5 minutes after you've logged on before you attempt to open OE? 
shutter
Community Veteran

same thing happens... it is "more often"  than "not"  as the saying goes.... only occasionally does it go straight from the click on the icon to showing the OE6 blue box, and then opening for use...
Something else that may or may not be related. If I leave my laptop on, and it "goes to sleep" or is not used  for say 30 mins or more, I have to close down and reboot before I can get back on to the net. ( I am on wireless router that is 100% reliable, and always on... )
paulby
Grafter

The laptop issue is probably because it's lost its IP address.  You'll need to right click on the wireless icon in the task bar (if it's not there go to Control Panel > Network Connections and right click the wireless connection).  Click on repair.  That *should* sort things out without a reboot.  What you describe is quite a common occurrence!
As for OE - I'm not sure what else to try short of re-installing Xp, which you won't want to do unless it's absolutely necessary!
shutter
Community Veteran

OK Paul,  Thanks for your words of wisdom.... Guess I will just have to live with the re-boot for a while.... The wireless icon shows that wireless connection is available, (and connected) no red x on it.  So will see if clicking on it next time  etc., sorts the problem of the dropped connection... did not know it was common.
As for re-installing XP I will probably be doing a format C sometime shortly (next month or so) so perhaps when I re-install XP it will sort that problem too... 
Thanks again for your help  Smiley