Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huwae Mobile Dongle & aAndroid tablet

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Huwae Mobile Dongle & aAndroid tablet

can anyone tell me how to get the THREE mobile dongle to work on my Android tablet.... ( un-named tablet make )...
When plugged into the tablet, there does not seem to be any "set up" or initialising,  The dongle has a "Mobi Data" Sim Card inserted... it is flashing blue, about every 4 seconds,....
If I access the WIFI on the tablet, it shows me connected to my plusnet router..... but does not list the Three or 3G network... ( other locals are listed )...
IF I click the + sign... to add network... it asks for a Network SSID... where do I find this ... is it the long number on the SIM card?
When plugged into my laptop, it goes through an "installing device" procedure, and I can connect to the net via it,  ( in the same position, so signal is good )...
Should I put the 3 sim card in first ? ( although I am not a "paid up member" of Three to access the net via that company )
23 REPLIES 23
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Huwae Mobile Dongle & aAndroid tablet

Check out THIS
Not tried it as I use a mifi device
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

You could investigate an app called PPP Widget, alternatively look here: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/connect-any-3g-dongle-to-any-android-tablet/
[Edit, just looked at HMcB's link and I see that's using PPP Widget]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... will download the PPP widget... and see how it progresses from there...
Going out now for a couple of hours... will get back to you all later....
Thanks...  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Having difficulty !.... can`t understand the voice on the video.... so have had a look at a couple of others... and whilst trying to follow this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohiwi--OiMM
( have not done any "ROOT" stuff, as I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing there..... perhaps I need to find out about that ? ? ? )

I get the following messages on my screen...

unfortunately padphone has stopped working  OK
Unfortunately, com.android.server has stopped.  OK
NO !... it`s not OK... what can I do about it .. ? 
( PPP widget 2, is not compatible with my tablet )... so am using the original PPP widget... (well at least it is installed )...
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Getting 3G dongles working under Linux was always problematic and I'd expect Android to be more so. There are multiple variants of dongles and they need the right drivers loaded (if they even exist) to work.
I'd bite the bullet and go out and get yourself a mifi - they are far superior, and more flexible, than a dongle.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmmm.... clicking here , and clicking there... trying to find how to access the "ROOT" dept !... using ES File explorer... Tools... I find "Root Explorer" listed and showing OFF... so I click on the "OFF" box, it turns blue, says "ON"  then a notification comes up.... "sorry test failed. This feature cannot run on your device"...
So... it seems I can`t do any "rootin" around... !...
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
Check out THIS
Not tried it as I use a mifi device

Is this....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3G-Mobile-Power-Wireless-MiFi-WiFi-USB-Broadband-Hotspot-Router-Modem-Dong...
The sort of thing you are using ?
Is it "plug n play " ?  or is there some "set up" to follow through, before it gets connected.... ( presumably, to the SIM card inserted )...
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Thats what I use, you can get a "real" mifi device from Tesco for £15 then spend £1 unlocking it and put any sim in it. That device needs your dongle plugged into it.
Or just get your tablet rooted.
shutter
Community Veteran

"spend a £1 unlocking it "???  guy in the market? that unlocks phones ?  or where ?
Have you got a "linky" to the tesco one you have ? 
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If you get stuck then get one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-M5350-Hotspot-Unlocked-Internal/dp/B00B7TGVP6 . OK they're a bit more expensive than a locked one and unlocking, but they are Sim free I.e unlocked OOTB

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I don't have a tesco one, I have one the same as the link you provided, the unlock is a code off ebay, I have used similar to unlock both my phone & 3 dongle.
Rooting you tablet is probably quicker and easier than messing about with these. (unless it is a hudl 2)
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: pwatson
Getting 3G dongles working under Linux was always problematic and I'd expect Android to be more so.

The latest Linux's have no problems with 3g dongles, drivers are included in the kernel & the network connection  app can usually connect in a few sec. Unlike a few years ago when you had to install a 3rd party app to do it.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Yes, I've had no problems with dongles using recent versions of Ubuntu Linux.
Getting one working with my (rooted) Nexus 7 was not easy and didn't work very well with PPP widget. In the end I decided that it was worth the money for a Mifi unit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

That was one reason I bought the device from ebay, you plug the dongle into it and it acts as a wifi hotspot/ethernet hub (1 port), it is a bit more clumsy than a mifi device, which is why I suggested the tesco one to shutter. I also had issues with the first one I had not recognising my dongle even though it was supposed to be supported. If I was purchasing a new one I would get the mifi from tesco and unlock it (its on T mobile so if you wanted to use them you wouldn't need to unlock it).
Support on these Chinese devices is abysmal, so good luck if you buy the ebay one.