Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one problems

OshB5
Grafter

Hub one problems

Hello

Iv only just started to use the freebie Plusnet Hub One router. Due to my by modem and Asus router going faulty. Anyway Iv had this setup for a least the last 3 years with the only problem being at the installation and getting the settings to work with the BT modem. I also took out a new 18 month contract in last December going up to the 70mbs speeds. Whereas before I was on the 35mds and was getting 45mbs constant but now I’m not getting the limit mbs download. However it’s still fine  Anyway Iv had no problems since other than power outages and times when PN have advised of certain problems.  But since putting in the Hub One the line has been like a Jack in the box.  Yoyoing all the day. Iv got loads of small problems and the only difference is the Hub One. It also stands out more as my daughter is home from uni and is using it with a group of friends and all I can hear is “DaD”. Lol. So Iv seen the possibilities with sending updates to the HubOne. Will it work for me do you think? 

Thank you OsH

10 REPLIES 10
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Hub one problems

@OshB5 

Hi is this with Wi-Fi ? If so the first thing to try is to split the 2.4 and 5Ghz Wi-Fi rather then sync'ing.

Further option is to get a second hand cheap BT Home Hub 6 from eBay around 25-30 quid - this is known to have a better Wi-Fi then the Hub One which is really a rebadged Home Hub 5 (these are a bit old).

It really is time PlusNet updated the router they supply.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

What is your version of the software on the Hub

OshB5
Grafter

Hello

This is it firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Thank you

OshB5
Grafter

Hi

Regarding the second hand BT hub. If I got one of those could I use the PN hub one as a wired repeater and switch in another room if I was to shut off the DHCP?

Regards. 

mort7890
Pro

HI @OshB5  Suggest you ask @bobpullen to push Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 through for you, found this to be fine.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @OshB5 previous house used a couple of other routers with no problems to improve wifi so yes if you configure it you should be able to use it.

OshB5
Grafter

Hi #mort7890.

When you said about the configuration of the router. Did you mean just by turning off the DCHP so that there’re is no conflicts over the. Network.  Only I just wondered if there is any other settings that need changing or deleting on the router to have it become a switch with  access point or repeater qualities.

thank you 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@OshB5  yes, you need to disable DHCP and also ensure that the the router IP address does not conflict with any other device on your network , including the primary router. Typically, most routers are allocated a default Ip address of .1 or .254 in their LAN subnet, so you will likely have to change that for any router used as an AP

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@mort7890 wrote:

HI @OshB5  Suggest you ask @bobpullen to push Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 through for you, found this to be fine.

I'd need the account username and serial number of the router in order to do this as I'm struggling to locate the details. Best to private message me.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mort7890
Pro

Hi @OshB5 

Yes as indicated disable DHCP, I also set the IP address between 240-250 (192.168.1.250) which did then not coflict with other IP addresses