cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One port forwarding

dorkasaurus
Dabbler

Hub One port forwarding

Ok, hope someone can help me out here, I am a new customer with plusnet and have quite a complex set up at home (several PI's and a couple of servers and a few media players, I recognised the hub when I opened the package and figured I may have issues with port forwarding as I had exactly the same router with BT (just a different colour) and went through six routers just trying to get a single one port forwarding, apparently there is a known problem with the firmware and no fix is on the horizon, I have done the following so far with the new router
a) Set all the devices I need to talk too from outside with static IP's
b) Set them outside the DHCP range
c) Forwarded the ports I need forwarding to the relevent IP's
d) Apply the settings
e) Tested port forwarding.....All ports still closed
f) Reboot router and check ports are still forwarded (these routers have a habit of losing their memory)
g) Ports showing as forwarded...Still blocked on an external test
h) Check all devices visible and available on the internal network
I) Try another external check.....All ports still blocked
j) Reboot router.......Same result...Nothing
k) Swear at router....a lot
l) repeat whole process......with added swearing
m) Give up and open the JD
I'm now sat here well on my way to merry, I have done all the obvious and still all my ports are closed even though the control panel says otherwise (I suspect it is lying) as you can probably tell from the gadgets on my network I am a bit of a nerd and I am an ex-comms guy so I know my way round a network (everything in the house is linux....none of this spyware microsloth rubbish) but I have to admit. this Hub one with it's blue light mocking me telling me all is well when I'm kinda guessing it isnt is really starting to get frustrating.
Any Idea?

Cheers
Me
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Hub One port forwarding

I've got port forwarding working OK, the difference is I've not set my own static IP's but used DHCP address reservation.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dorkasaurus
Dabbler

Hi Dvoark, thanks for your reply, I've tried it with DHCP too, and UPNP but it just sends an "unrecognised format" reply to anything that tries to conf a port forward via upnp, even if I log in to the device and do it manually, had an absoloute nightmare with my hub 5 (same modem/router)
legume
Rising Star

Quote from: dorkasaurus

I am a bit of a nerd and I am an ex-comms guy so I know my way round a network (everything in the house is linux....
Any Idea?

I have an openreach modem plugged into a switch and use a little DC linux PC as a router.
It's just so nice not having something locked down (accepting of course that th OR "modem" is a locked down router, but it works as set up).
So I get my own QOS, working UPnP when needed, port forwarding as required, mini jumbos etc.
Hypothetically OR modem into a switch is suboptimal if you have Plusnet TV - but I don't and I didn't get round to getting a second nic for the router (which is also a server/PVR).
If Plusnet gave me a HH5a I would be tempted to do -
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a
dorkasaurus
Dabbler

Cheers Legume,
Didn't even know open-wrt had been ported to hh5, have tinkered with DD-WRT quite a bit and kinda like the home brew stuff, I'm currently running one PI as a wireless-VPN gateway (yeah I forgot to mention the tin foil hat too Wink lol )
I've had mixed results unlocking the HG612's but have one here I may unlock it and drop in to a managed switch, don't really want to throw a cisco at it but have a managed switch here that I could fudge in to the network and then hang my pi vpn router off that I guess, it looks like I may be going down the "turn the firewall off altogether" route and rely on my backend, am very wary of the boards in the HH5 after reading the full disclosure docs back in 2013.
Tech support at plusnet said I'd probably be better posting in here as there's people more knowledgable, that seems to be the case Wink
Thanks
Me Smiley
dorkasaurus
Dabbler

Well, after another day of messing about I can conclusively say the Hub One is just as crap as the identical Model from BT
And when I call Plusnet to ask how I get the port forwarding working on the router they have supplied I certainly do not expect to be told "we don't support port forwarding", so why oh why is it in the router YOU supply, there is a known problem with these routers and port forwarding that BT have been suffering for a long time and they still haven't sorted it.....that's kinda why I left them,
I guess after 6 routers you get a feeling that it's a manufacturing issue, as you roll out these hub ones you're gonna get more and more unhappy gamers plusnet, and "we don't support port forwarding" so sorry your on your own won't cut it, if I have a car from ford I expect it to work, if the wipers aren't functioning I don't expect ford to say "sorry we don't supoort wipers" port forwarding is an integral part of the router and without it my static IP I payed for is pointless too.
I don't expect to be 6 routers down the line before this is sorted, anyone from plusnet have any input on this or is this gonna be one of those cases where I have to get a router at my own expense just so I can use it how it's supposed to be used?