cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One as Bridge?

andymaw11
Dabbler

Hub One as Bridge?

Have been going in circles trying to find this without luck. Is it possible to change my new Hub One to be a bridge? I managed it using telnet commands on my old plusnet router but now have upgraded to fibre at a new property.
I saw that it was possible with the 2704n but can't find any relevant info on the Hub One. Apologies if this has been posted before and I've missed it.
10 REPLIES 10
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Hub One as Bridge?

Unfortunately I don't think you can Sad
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,147535.msg1304166.html#msg1304166
Unless Reply #1 in that thread helps you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Much will depend on why you want to turn it into a bridge, but if it is to use your own router there are a couple of solutions.
The simplest is just to plug the Hub One into your VDSL line, the use an Ethernet cable from a Lan port of the Hub One, to the Wan port of your router. Let the Hub One do the authentication stuff on the line, switch off Wifi and smart setup, and change the IP range if its the same as your router.
Hope this makes sense, but feel free to ask if you have any questions.
andymaw11
Dabbler

Surely it's not that easy! It seems to be working fine.
I wanted the Hub One to be a bridge to my RT-AC68U as it allows me a load more options like QoS and can't stand how limited the UI is of the Hub One. I've done what you suggested Mustrum and all is well.
Thanks both for your quick responses and help, it's much appreciated.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Yes, it is that simple, made easier though by your router, it would have worked out the settings for you when you plugged it in to the Hub One. Glad you are sorted.
BasherB

I have a Hub One now that I have fibre broadband (to the box in the street) which I'd prefer to set in bridge mode (if possible) to work with my existing Asus DSL-N55U Annex A as the latter provides greater range and flexibility as well as two USB ports. I have been going round and round in circles with both the Asus technicians and Plusnet's without any success whatsoever. The last passing comment by the fairly unhelpful Asus guy was that "it's probably a hardware problem" - most unlike the previous Asus guy I spoke with a couple of years ago about an issue I had. Is this suggestion really going to be that simple to resolve my issue?? I hope so, if not any other ideas???

Mustrum
Community Veteran

According to Asus your router is VDSL compatible, so you don't need to use the Hub1, just enter your username and password in your Asus router and keep the Hub One as a backup. More info on how to do this on the help pages.

BasherB

no that is a different unit (DSL-AC55U) : https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSL-AC55U/

mine is a DSL-N55U Annex A : https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLN55U_Annex_A/

.....a different beast

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Ah, sorry, my bad. Seems yours is ADSL only, cant see a way to connect that to a LAN port on the Hub One.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@andymaw11 wrote:
Is it possible to change my new Hub One to be a bridge? I managed it using telnet commands on my old plusnet router

I don't suppose you'd care to share the knowledge? lol

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

That was probably a Thomson/Technicolour router that was bridged using Telnet.