Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you tackle this?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: How would you tackle this?

The trouble with MB is that with over 1k different nasties picked up, even if there are only say 100 genuine ones, removing them (which it failed to do on my machine recently - I had to outsmart them) could still cripple the system if they're all just wiped out at once. I've had this happen a few times and found it's better to remove one at a time. With my recent infection on my desktop MB couldn't get rid of the trojans as they were installed with a rootkit. It also couldn't remove the registry keys either so I exported those, opened in notepad++, edited them out and imported the keys  Wink That stopped them running and then MB was able to pickup the rootkit and remove it.
With that said, the laptop has been destructed to bits. I mean I had everything out of it down to the motherboard sitting on the wood of the desk. Put in some new thermal paste as the internet guides suggest (HP dv6700 - notorious for overheating) and unlike the guides I took the fan apart too rather than settle for new thermal paste. The thing was totally caked up with dust - I mean seriously clogged up, no wonder it was so loud (though you couldn't see the dust from outside but if anyone else reads this there is a 4th hidden screw on the fan - under the black stick plastic). With dust like that blocking it there was virtually no cooling. Anyway laptop back together (just!) and a bit of fiddling with the ram to stop error beeps and it's now running in the 50-60 degree range instead of 80 - 90.
I've reinstalled windows today and am now just working on installing software for the owner. The thing is much quieter now too. The fan still kicks in pretty quickly when you open up something or do something CPU intensive but it also settles back down pretty quickly too. Even when it does run it's nowhere near as noisy as before which was basically full speed continually. When I first ran it the thing got so hot you could feel the heat through the wood underneath the top of the desk  Shocked
Anyway it's done now thankfully and I'mm just copying her documents etc back onto the machine  Smiley
Thanks for your help guys  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I would tackle this by replacing Windows with Linux.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

picbits
Rising Star

Where is the "like" button on here when you need it Wink
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@sprite, +guys thanks for the interesting series of post, reminded me I hadn't 'blown' out my system units for a couple of months Embarrassed
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
I would tackle this by replacing Windows with Linux.

Typical, "linux" baiting.....
The owner obviously worried about losing files and not being able to access them IF a re-install of Windows was necessary. would surely be much more distressed to find that his/her laptop had a completely new operating system installed, and the consequences of the difficulties of trying to use it or  accessing ( if available) the files and folders  .
How would you like it, if your machine came back from the repair with an alien OS on it? 
In other words... not a helpful answer at all...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be well pleased to receive my machine back with Linux installed -
1 - working better than when it was new
2 - never having to worry about internet security
3 - no longer constantly downloading OS and application updates
4 - no worries about Microsoft withdrawing all product support in a few months
5 - having access to thousands of free programs
6 - having the lifetime of the laptop extended considerably
7 - booting up in seconds
8 - having a choice of which desktop environment to boot to (Unity / Gnome / etc)
9 - the best online support and the ability for users to get problems fixed
10 - never crashing or BSOD
11 - all existing document can be read and written - unlike old versions of MS Office
... an so on ...
I would only regret having lived in the (Windows) stone age for so long !  Crazy
shutter
Community Veteran

Whch is the sort of answer an experienced user of linux would put out....
when doing this linux "baiting" it is as well to remember that not everyone has any inkling of linux.... so to suggest that  a replacement of windows by linux would benefit  one and all is presumptious and insulting at the same time....
If you had no knowledge of linux you would not be pleased to have a brand new operating system installed on your machine.
You are experienced enough to know this, and I am surprised that you continue in the same vein as "foxy"....
Enough... it is pointless, and does not achieve anything useful or worthwhile in solving the original owners problems..
Yes, Linux does have its virtues, so does Windows.... each to his own, and may the world be kinder to you in future.  Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'Sprite' - what version of Windows are you loading on this laptop ?
VileReynard
Hero

The OP asked "How would you tackle this?"

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Hi guys
Well I see you've decided to turn my constructive thread asking for help into a windows vs linux bashing opportunity..
Purleigh I reinstalled Vista. If you take into account shutters points, do you think the 25 year old female owner would be pleased to find she had to learn a totally new system just to look at her photographs? I certainly don't. Do you think she'd be pleased to have to learn a new OS just to get her Wifi working? I don't.
You can't force linux on people. Even M$ know you can't force their OS on people yet you windows bashers are always trying it. You can forget it, it simply wouldn't happen with that machine. It's now been handed back anyway and she's very happy with it. The noise was severely reduced from permanent full blast to the occassional medium power blast.
@foxy yes I asked how you would tackle this. Referring to a system I was not allowed to reinstall, was crippled with virii and had a massive hardware over heating problem. I didn't ask for linux to be shoved down my throat (or hers).
A 25 year old young woman who doesn't know much about computers isn't going to be interested in linux for it's 'better features', she's interested in the system she knows because she knows how to use it. Linux is just too much of a big step for people like that and you know it. Linux is a system for geeks who know what they're doing. Windows is a starter system that gets you used to being able to do what you need.
Shutters reply pretty much says everything else so there is little point in me continuing. You knew that this system would not have linux installed from the very start of this thread so it was utterly pointless baiting the topic hoping to start a flamewar.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Another point: most users want to use the same operating system (or very similar) to the one they use at work so they don't have to learn much new. Perhaps the Linux trolls should concentrate on getting businesses to use Linux for their general office PCs!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero

A rather extreme reaction to my suggestion, don't you think?
And the OP did actually replace the OS, contrary to what they wanted to do.
Of course this didn't actually fix anything.
Expect to have to do this "repair" at regular intervals.

shutter
Community Veteran

Yet another inane remark. from someone who should know better.  Angry
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As the problem has been solved and as posted by the OP
Well I see you've decided to turn my constructive thread asking for help into a windows vs linux bashing opportunity..
This habit in certain quarters of jumping into Windows related threads with Linux suggestions where they aren't needed is not appreciated and in future firmer action may be taken,
This thread is locked and the last stirring post has been removed as it got in before I locked it