Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How unsafe is Windows XP

20 REPLIES 20
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: How unsafe is Windows XP

In my experience almost all malware infections are down to poor maintenance.  Cry
As XP systems have, by definition, been around longer there's a lot more opportunities for users to "let things slip".
I've seen plenty of badly-infected Vista and W7 systems lately (pro-rata probably more than XP TBH) but there are too few W8's around to form a view yet.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Got to love the quote:
Redmond is urging laggard Win XP users to upgrade their machines before security updates for the OS end on 8 April 2014. ®

Of course they are urging you to BUY more M$ products. I notice that the latest Mac release was FREE.  Lips_are_sealed
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever happened to the lightweight version of Windows that Microsoft said they were developing, to encourage customers using XP to migrate to a newer OS that would run on existing older hardware with limited resources, without needing to buy a whole new computer just to run Windows 7.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I just knew this post would bring the Linux Trolls out of the woodwork... and the disguise is so flimsy, it is easy to recognise them
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Ignoring the sneaky edit by purleigh does anyone know anything about Win 8 light or whatever it may be called
Having said that - this is very interesting http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=11912 - it may be possible without needing a cut down version
HPsauce
Pro

I've installed W8 on a selection of old (Sold with XP Home mainly) systems and all worked remarkably well. None were "power user" systems, far from it.
There are some technical requirements which some processors may not meet, but I think I've used basic Dell systems at least 10 years old without issues.
shutter
Community Veteran

On my 10" Hannspree laptop, I am running Windows 7 Starter...... not sure if that was what you were referring to.... It came with the machine, so have no knowledge whether it is commercially available.... For my purposes, it does everything "normal" window 7 / vista does and I would not be able to say there is a difference, save from the identification on boot up....
oh... one thing that is not available is the ability to change desktop wallpaper pics...
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: shutter
I am running Windows 7 Starter
There's no equivalent with Windows 8.
There is an RT edition for specific ARM-based devices.
Unlike Windows Vista and Windows 7, there are no Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, or Ultimate editions.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: shutter
I am running Windows 7 Starter
There's no equivalent with Windows 8.....

Technically yes, but they do resemble each other quite a lot (if you stick to the Windows 8 desktop).  Neither comes with the ability to play DVDs.  Neither has the attractive 'aero' appearance of Windows 7 (other versions). 
shutter
Community Veteran

My version of W7 Starter, seems to have the ability to play DVD/CD`s, however, I only know that because my 10" laptop does not have a CD player !.. hmm... so.. I bought a caddy for one I have from a much older laptop.... plugged in the player to the caddy, plugged the caddy in, and it played the Linux DVD without any further ado !...
kmilburn
Grafter

The ability to read a DVD and Play a DVD is slightly different. What they're lacking is the CODECs necessary to understand the DVD video files, so the cant play the film.
redsetter
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
Whatever happened to the lightweight version of Windows that Microsoft said they were developing, to encourage customers using XP to migrate to a newer OS that would run on existing older hardware with limited resources, without needing to buy a whole new computer just to run Windows 7.

there was an xp version like that some years ago now called fundamentals. theres a lot of xp users still around.if its not broken don't fix it.
shutter
Community Veteran

Just tried to play a film DVD .... Have got "GOM PLAYER" installed... and it reported I needed a codec AC3 fIlter and downloaded it, and installed it.... but that particular dvd would not play... however, I tried another one, and that played fine... just like on the telly !..
I suppose the codecs are within the GOMPLAYER software... not sure if the second dvd needed the AC3 codec, or if it was playing with the existing GOMPLAYER codecs...
Am assuming the original comment about not playing dvd`s was referring to a "basic" install of W7 Starter, and not using external progs  as in my case....
hitachi
Grafter

I have downloaded from Microsoft Dreamspark windows 7 professional N edition. The N editions of Windows 7 allow you to choose your own media player and software required to manage and play CDs, DVDs, and other digital media files, the N editions are also available in windows 8. Apparently this is due to some sort of EU ruling on choice.